Sound Skulptor: Pre's, Compressors, Tape Simulator, Professionnal Audio Kits

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the feedback.
Just to make things clear, the vintage unit as well as the 4 channels unit are just examples of what can be done and they won't be available as kit. Those who want an original design can use the mini kit and create the case they want.
Regarding the pricing, still working on it, it won't be long now.

what kind of power supply does it need? I'm thinking the mini-kit would be great for 51X rack with a custom L-bracket. If it fits, of course.

naths101 said:
i'm thinking 12 channels in a 3RU case would be sweet on drums...  ;)

Hell, you could probably buy a MCI JH-24 for less than what you'd spend on 12 channels and you'd get an extra 12 thrown in for free. :)

Mark

Biasrocks said:
Hell, you could probably buy a MCI JH-24 for less than what you'd spend on 12 channels and you'd get an extra 12 thrown in for free. :)

factor in maintenance and media cost and it gets complicated. especially so if this new thing does what it says on the tin.

Much more demos please!

Just remembered this thing!

http://www.anamodaudio.com/

Wonder how the DIY counterpart will stand up to it!

Curious for the price of a kit as well... !

btw, is it possible to download the mp3's as well ? I'd like to make a comparison on my studiospeakers, with the mp3's levelled.

Oh, and this part of your site is great ! http://www.soundskulptor.com/uk/calc.html

thanks, and good luck with your products.
Paul.

Kingston said:
factor in maintenance and media cost and it gets complicated. especially so if this new thing does what it says on the tin.

Media costs = 1 or 2 reels of tape that you re-use.
Maintenance on my refurbished JH-24 = minimal,
they don't break unless they're moved around a lot or have
30 year old capacitors in them.

Unlimited possibilities for sound sculpting + cool factor = PRICELESS.  8)

Cool project none the less.

Mark

wow, that sounds pretty good. 

How'd you do it?  Is it tape heads?

I'm interested in a couple 500 series too!

how much $$?

Biasrocks said:
Media costs = 1 or 2 reels of tape that you re-use.
Maintenance on my refurbished JH-24 = minimal,
they don't break unless they're moved around a lot or have
30 year old capacitors in them.

That's what we at work call a "happy day scenario". I'm sure it works like that in a small project setting and there's no one calling at 4am to get the thing calibrated. But anywhere else reel to reel tape is never low maintenance.

Kingston said:
But anywhere else reel to reel tape is never low maintenance.

Not to beleaguer this, because your points are valid if your using the analog deck as your primary recording medium.

What we're talking about here is using analog as an effect, not as a primary way of capturing audio.

My point is simply that you could invest the same or lesser amount of money to get this effect and as a bonus you get the real deal, not an pale imitation. The multi-track deck becomes an FX box, nothing more.

You won't be getting called to fix the analog fx's box at 4am, I assure you.   8)

Mark

Biasrocks said:
Not to beleaguer this, because your points are valid if your using the analog deck as your primary recording medium.

What we're talking about here is using analog as an effect, not as a primary way of capturing audio.

Yes, That's also what I'd do when I'd buy a serious taperecorder again. A few years back I bought a cheapo Fostex 4 track tapedeck, just to check what I could do with it for use as a tapesimulator (or recording in Daw, reamping to tape). Unfortunately, the beltchain of the Fostex was broken, so the test never happened, haha.

However, as a recording medium.... : I had a couple pro Tascam Direct Drive tapedecks in the past, beautiful sound, but they broke down regularly.... A Horror ! That's when I decided to switch over to DAW recording.

The prices have been finalized and are shown on page 1.
We will make more audio samples in the future.
A 500 series will be done if this product shows enough interest. The current PCB won’t fit in a 500 rack.

Latest posts

Back