Sound Skulptor: Pre's, Compressors, Tape Simulator, Professionnal Audio Kits

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interest rate of this thread sky rockets after the introduction of the Stereo tape simulator  :D

What the heck...me too interested.

Hi Jean-Pierre,
I assume these take up two slots in your standard rack, as does the MP66, is that correct? Using your standard power supply and DIO? Looks really nice. I would be in for a four-channel setup.
Regards,
Keith

Hi Keith, how are you doing ?
The STS is different from the Skulptor preamps : different case, different PSU.
I took this direction to achieve the lowest possible starting price.
Now the good news is if you want a big case with large vu-meters or a 4 channels 1U rack or an 8 channels 2U rack or anything else, it is quite simple to do: Change the front plate on the full kit and you get a 19" unit. Use a 1U rack case + 2 full kits (case less) and you get a 4 channel unit. If you are a little more comfortable with DIY you can make your own case design.

Any chance of a mono kit?

I would like to run it in my guitar effects chain  :p

Hi,

It uses pre-/de-emphasis in the signal path, I guess?
How are amplitude-to-freq and ampl-to-THD behaviours?

Kit for stereo sounds interesting... :)

Any chance to hear more direct A/B samples?

s

How about a more comprehensive set of audio demos? I'm eager to hear more. The idea is very interesting, but the current demo is simply too narrow scope.

Yes i tought the sound examples were too narrow also and a little too extreme for the first example, could be nice to have a small palette of sound, with/without, a little process, more process, and extrem process, in all of the different tape speeds, and all in 44.1Khz 24bit at least, so could be heard on each one systems, it's maybe asking too much tough, because none of the projects here have sound exemples, but like Igor wrote on his white market, well sounds good when done with care and good components, but still could be nice to have more exemples, if it's really worth it (and i think it is), would make it even more demanded, don't you think? But maybe too busy now, doing all the process around releasing these...

But that's a great job, and a really nice project, really.

I agree that we need more sound samples. I am moving up this task in my priority list.

zayance said:
but still could be nice to have more exemples, if it's really worth it (and i think it is), would make it even more demanded, don't you think?

Exactly.
I posted a link to this on another forum and first reaction was that there was only 1 sound example...
This is indeed a very good product at a very competing price, especially when compared to the ATS-1 tape simulator from Anamod.

True ATS-1 is really expensive, i actually wanted to test drive the machine, didnt found the time right now, but looks like a beast tough, but dunno if the technologie will be timeproof  ???, i mean analog computing, with different cards that can be installed...., i'm not very experienced in electronics, but this must heat a lot no? i have a picture found of the guts of the machine from sound on sound, looks like good quality, (toroid could have been out the box tough for that price, or mumetal shielded or whatever). There were a lot of doubts on that design actually, but seem to be very good sounding machine from the samples done by a user on Gearslutz.
Anyway, i don't know why companies these days (beside Soundskulptor of course  ;D) don't take a little time and spend or work with a studio to get us some sound examples (yes even sound examples could be mixed up to make you believe), i understand that in a marketing point of vue, this can narrow the people buying that stuff, and don't get it also, no offense these days most of the gear out there is marketing, quality is for people who search the right way, or build their stuff (thumbs up to Prodigy and all of you guys  :)) or have the big bucks, and even there sometimes you end up on some crazy things (thanks for China  ;))
Not giving samples could reveal the scam also, but if you're confident about your stuff, then providing sound examples is the best way to get your job advertised, whatever will be the tastes of the people around, taste is like colors, nothing to discuss about, it's totaly personal....
Anyway can't wait the sound examples to be there, i'll be interested in that gear also.

aren't sound samples very "subjective" ?
this is a provocation question, I know.

you like it, someone else will say what the fuck is that.
but the unit might work for the other ones as well, with other settings.

however, if it will be released in any 5XX format I'm in to try it out myself.

Yes very subjective, like i said in french there is a phrase that says, the tastes and colors don't get discussed or something like that, but you get the point, it's just that since it was on the website to listen, i believe some people would have liked at least some more, that's all.

Back