Sound Skulptor: Pre's, Compressors, Tape Simulator, Professionnal Audio Kits

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice work, how would you describe the sound of the two preamps up against each other?
Whats with the Hackerspace place, can I like join for a month and then use their CNC gear, lathe and tools? .... I can see some nice metalwork coming up!

Junction said:
Nice work, how would you describe the sound of the two preamps up against each other?
Whats with the Hackerspace place, can I like join for a month and then use their CNC gear, lathe and tools? .... I can see some nice metalwork coming up!

They sound different ;-)  But I still promise to post sound comparisons up soon....  I'm just so freaking bust at the moment....

Here is a link to the Robots and Dinosaurs Sydney Hackerspace: http://robodino.org/ and if you contact them with those details, I'm sure they could arrange something.  I actually did DIY red anodizing of a 1u rack panel there today, so there's all sorts of stuff you can do there.

I'm going to have to take my previous statement back.

Running from a line source into both pre-amps ( with the line out set to output -21dB into both of them ), then using both pre-amps to get back to line level is an amazing experience.

I realize now how much my ears completely suck, and how much working with these pre-amps will improve them.

BOTH the VP26 and MP73, in that particular application, sound like wire with gain, if not run into their clipping range ( and what a huge range it is before they get there.... ).

Honestly, I can't find a hint of signature on either aside from the fact I like the sound of both more than the original signal.  There is something I can't identify there that both do to the sound.  The clarity that is partially hidden in the digital source is revealed and smoothed and gooed together even so slightly, yet, seemingly in contradiction, but not; the transients sound more in your face, the bass has more presence, blah, blah, blah.

But both of them seem to do "basically the same thing".  They make audio better, even though it's a tiny tiny amount of better, it's still better.  As for the difference between them, so far, I can't hear one, that's how insanely good they are.  No noise, no hiss, no background noise, not even any distortion that I can hear - truly and honestly, they sound like gain producing cables with some magic sauce in there too.  I'm gobsmacked....

I'll have to rethink that summation after hearing them through a microphone with a live vocalist ( which I am doing this weekend ), but with the only source I have, it's too hard to split them.

For someone who has been used to upper-level consumer gear previously, these devices are both a total revelation ( insanely awesome ).  I can't recommend either one enough.

Once you put them into the clipping range, the difference to me is that the VP26 sounds like there is more going on in the mid-range during clipping and for the MP73 that there's more going on in the low bass and hi treble, with the mid-range largely surviving in tact.  I can hear in that application why people say that the VP26 is more of a rock pre, as you can hear that in the clipping range.  But I won't really be operating them in that region anyway.

I know that doesn't help, but it's what I heard.  Clearly you need an opinion from someone with better ears ;-)

That is correct, you can check the schematic here http://www.soundskulptor.com/pdf/eq573-schematic.pdf

Very interested in getting a pair of EQ573 kits... (still loving my STS by the way)

Would these eqs be nice on my master fader? Anyone using them like this? Or are they more suited for single channel type stuff?

The 1073 was designed as a channel pre and EQ, with lots of available boost and cut but for sure you can use it on a bus, as long as you use it moderately.

Does anyone know what brand of switches / pots are used in the 573 EQ? They look very handy for concentric 2p6 and 1p12 stuff!

Hi Keith, we are about to release the rack version of the 1073 EQ.
It's only a matter of days now.

Awesome :) Will they work in the original grey rack, or just the newer rack? I noticed that you offer a version one of the preamps now that you have a new style rack.

The new products will only work in the new rack.
Now, the only difference between the two racks is in the connector and it should not be too difficult to make an adapter with a little piece of breadboard.

Yes, there are 2 versions:
one is electronically balanced, the other uses Carnhill transformers.

Back