Sound Skulptor: Pre's, Compressors, Tape Simulator, Professionnal Audio Kits

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The EQ73 equalizer for rack is now ready and available. Please look at thread #1 for details.

I just got my pair of 573 preamps, quick shipping and IMPRESSIVE packaging... so nice that i feel bad i have to take things out of the box... but something tells me ill be happy again soon xD

Thank you for the nice feedback.
Please note that we have a new tool available: The lunchbox connector extender.

xtend400.jpg

It is a real helper when you need to fix or setup a module.
http://www.soundskulptor.com/uk/proddetail.php?prod=XTEND500

About how long did it take for a package to get to your home in the US? For those of you who live in the US and ordered something of course. I was under the assumption that once it left France, tracking would be unavailable so I'd be just patiently waiting after that.

I got a few here in Canada much quicker than I expected , can't say enough good things about the kits
[ built two of the neve pres , great documentation , everything you need ]
the extender looks good , Dam you I need one !

It generally takes no more than 10 days. You are right, the tracking info always freezes at the french border. It wakes up again once you've received the package.

Finally got it! After assembly though I have no resistance in the first test phase. Any suggestions on where to start troubleshooting?

If no resistance means infinite resistance then you're OK. The problems come when the resistance is too low (like in a short).

Interesting... This was an extremely easy build and I didn't have any problems... I don't have any voltage though. That's why I thought the resistance was wrong. I don't show to have any voltage at TP3 and CN3. What should I check?

For any of you who may have read this, or for anyone who may stumble upon this in the future, my problem is solved! I thought I would use this forum to leave Jean-Pierre alone as much as possible, but he went above and beyond to help me solve this with a series of emails. In the end, it was my own oversight that caused the problem. I had switched two yellow capacitors with two yellow resistors that looked an awful lot alike. Small, round yellow disks. Any idiot could've done the same, right? So, for those of you interested in this kit, get it! It really is an easy build and things couldn't have gone smoother. Just make sure you don't have your head up your ass like I did. Thanks to Jean-Pierre as well for the emails and his knowledge of his product. He was able to help me figure out the problem and got me on my way to a very cool preamp! Couldn't have asked for more.

I'm GREATLY enjoying putting together an STS...like all the other kits I've bought from SoundSkulptor, this kit is fabulous! Meticulously labeled, a dream to put together. Thanks Jean-Pierre! Oh, and his support is stellar; he's helped me out a few times. Great company!!!

does the eq573 run on single rail +24V?

i have two ez1290 boards and want to integrate the eq573 with each ez1290?

where would the eq573 best be snuck into the ez1290 circuit? between the two gain stages of the ez1290? or directly before the output tranny of the ez1290 circuit? i guess that i'll have to omit the balancing and de-balancing stages of the eq573 when doing this?

The EQ573 runs from the lunchbox standard +/-16V, but internally it runs on +24V. The local ground is shifted by minus 9V to achieve this.
It would be easy to return to a 0/+24V supply by not installing a few components but this would exclude the use of the I/O stage that is used in the stand alone mode. It would require that the eq is inserted into a 1073 kind of pre, after the 2 preamp stages, before the level pot and the BA283AM output stage.
I am not familiar with the ez1290 but if you could point me to a schematic diagram, I could tell you where it can be inserted.

here are the schematics of the ez1290 taken from martin adriaanse's assembly guide.

by your explaination the eq573 would be perfect for fitting into the ez1290 preamp. i think i'll deffinitely go for it if i can figure out how.

Attachments

• 1290_schematic.pdf
    65.4 KB · Views: 20
i was thinking that if you sold me the transformer balanced rackmount version kit of the eq73 but without the transformers that sure would make things easier?

Sure!
The only restriction is that you won't get the clip LED indicator working without a negative supply voltage (-15V minimum).

Hi! I posted a test with a lot of samples of the amazing Sound Skulptor STS over at Gearslutz! So if you're still wondering what the STS might be able to do for you, then go there  and listen for yourself, what it does for me  ;)

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear-shoot-outs-sound-file-comparisons-audio-tests/784873-sound-skulptor-sts-stereo-tape-simulator.html

Gearsef said:
Hi! I posted a test with a lot of samples of the amazing Sound Skulptor STS over at Gearslutz! So if you're still wondering what the STS might be able to do for you, then go there  and listen for yourself, what it does for me  ;)

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear-shoot-outs-sound-file-comparisons-audio-tests/784857-sound-skulptor-sts-extensive-demo.html

Awesome! I JUST finished mine! It took me about 12 hours or maybe more. I went slowly/carefully. And I was able to calibrate it without a hitch!

I haven't passed audio through it yet to hear it, but I will in the next few days.

Kudos to Jean-Pierre for an EXCELLENT kit that is just absolutely top-notch in every way. It's a beautiful-looking piece of gear, and if the hype holds up, it's gonna sound grrrrreat!

If you're on the fence about a kit to get for your studio, I would HIGHLY suggest you look into the SoundSkulptor line. Exacting attention to detail, gorgeous fit/finish, premium components and world-class design. I couldn't be happier with the kits I've put together from these guys (an STS as you know, an MP73 and an MP12!)

Latest posts

Back