New Gssl born, thanks you all!! with pics

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artosaudio

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to let you know my first DIY project has been succesfully finished. Thanx to the very helpfull fellow diy'ers I have been able to finish it. It sounds beautifull, I've worked with it alongside a neve portico and a Manley ELOP and I must say it was still being able to stand out, also thanks to the variable sidechain possibilities.

I've had an opportunity to buy 4 sifam ppm 24 meters for 60 bucks on ebay, hence the fact I choose for a 2unit rack. I did drill a little hole in the sifam and put a tiny led in there for the backlight, not the best solution because of the shades, however it is still readable in the dark:)

Only thing left is some artwork and scales and stuff, was thinking of lasertrans, anybody for a better idea?

Here are some pictures of the unit and the proces (the next one is going to be more tidier...)

IMG_0061.JPG

IMG_0063.JPG

IMG_0066.JPG

Before I started I've never even soldered a cable in my life, this and the fact that I was a total electronic nOOb got me hestitating a while doing this or not, however you guys gave me the confident and opportunity to pull it off....

Thanx again, I've come to this community to stay!

Nice build pal! I see you've used that Sifam meter from ebay...How are the ballistics? Does it move/react fast? I remember those being a great deal. Almost bought some as well.

artosaudio said:
Only thing left is some artwork and scales and stuff, was thinking of lasertrans, anybody for a better idea?
I have seen this, but haven't tested it yet:
http://www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk/products-Dry-rub-off-decal-paper_159.htm

That looks like a very good option actually, looks very easy... think I'll buy a set!

Ballistics are great from what I can tell, meaning I can almost tell from the meter what the attack and release settings are...

should have bought more I guess.

artosaudio said:
Ballistics are great from what I can tell, meaning I can almost tell from the meter what the attack and release settings are...

Good to hear...

They're still for sale @ ebay ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/A-Nice-Pair-Sifam-VU-Meters-1mA-England-metre-NOS-meter_W0QQitemZ120300676102QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage_Electronics_R2?hash=item1c027aa406&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

radiance said:
artosaudio said:

Good to hear...

They're still for sale @ ebay ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/A-Nice-Pair-Sifam-VU-Meters-1mA-England-metre-NOS-meter_W0QQitemZ120300676102QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage_Electronics_R2?hash=item1c027aa406&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Thanks Radiance....Damn cheap!!

isn't the 24a just the big brother of the 14a (you know the original) that was at least the reason why I blindly bought them, this offcourse and the fact that it is a dc 1ma meter...

artosaudio said:
isn't the 24a just the big brother of the 14a (you know the original) that was at least the reason why I blindly bought them, this offcourse and the fact that it is a dc 1ma meter...

Cosmetically..yes. But the meter used in the original ssl (director 14) is a ppm meter and this on is a DC meter. PPM's have different ballistics, probably even faster than yours...They are very expensive though. I paid about 100 euro for mine.

Latest posts

Back