New DIY mic done - the "Alice"

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scodiddly

OK, time to publish. For a while now I've been fooling around with electret capsules, and managed to get in on a group buy (over at the micbuilders list) for some Transound capsules. Here's my mic based on the TSB-165A capsule:

http://www.scotthelmke.com/alice-mic.html

What do y'all think? My own opinion is that I've finally got me a professional mic... my previous "Brazil" mic sounds good but the packaging is a bit distracting. So far I've done some tests on acoustic guitar and voice, and used it on upright bass for a live sound gig.

TSB165-mic.jpg

What a beauty...! :shock:

Jakob E.

Very hip looking Scott, but I have a question... Why open up the sides of the tube if the capsule faces the top only?

[quote author="b3groover"]Why open up the sides of the tube if the capsule faces the top only?[/quote]

Omni capsule?

Peace,
Al.

[quote author="b3groover"]Very hip looking Scott, but I have a question... Why open up the sides of the tube if the capsule faces the top only?[/quote]

Because it's a cardioid capsule. Needs space around the back for the cardioid pattern to work.

It always amazes me how anyone can make something looking that good... I never can make things look that good - you always have to observe my stuff from a distance :green:

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

[quote author="SonsOfThunder"]Very beeyooteefull! Nice Job!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

What is the mic clip you are using, I am curious?[/quote]

Thanks!

The mic clip is just a $4 "wireless mic" replacement clip from the local music store. Nice rubber clip, fits the copper pipe perfectly.

[quote author="Mbira"]Where do you buy that capsule? I saw their site with the specs-but no price.[/quote]

Well, the capsule is the difficult part. A few months ago somebody on the micbuilders list managed a group buy. There might be somebody putting together one right now, but it's hard to say. These huge Asian companies are not easy to buy from if you don't want at least 10,000 units. :(

Anyway, I've got seven left (four of which are already going into mics this month), and a standing request for twenty more if anybody manages to set up a buy. My understanding is that Transound would like to have more dealers.

wow. never heard about this capsule. It seems that you like it.

Do you know what would be the minimum order? Maybe we can arrange a group buy...

[quote author="rafafredd"]wow. never heard about this capsule. It seems that you like it.

Do you know what would be the minimum order? Maybe we can arrange a group buy...[/quote]

That would definitely be a Good Thing. I have no idea what the minimum might be. But these are definitely pro-quality capsules. They've got some little Panasonic clones, but the bigger capsules like the TSB-165 and also the TSB-140A (still pretty good sound, has built-in FET) are great.

[quote author="rafafredd"]I´m not really understanding one thing... Is it an electret pre polarized capsule?[/quote]

Yes. No polarization voltage needed from the support circuit.

Latest posts

Back