APP Studio Ing's products - APP992 - APP14GE Germanium DOA and other kits

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pier,

I finally got the knobs on it and was able to start messing around with it. This thing sounds fantastic! I tested them with program material and it behaves like high end mastering EQ’s in regards to the high and mid bands. Boosting some 4k gives that more forward feel to the entire track without the harsh graininess that is associated with cheap equalizers. I know this is all subjective “gear-head” talk, but since I do mostly mixing, I just plug things in and see how they sound. After all, that is ultimately what matters in my world. I am using these with the recommended APP 992/14GE combination.

The knobs I got are a bit on the cheap side. I had to drill the cavity deeper to accommodate for the switches, so now they don’t sit perfectly in place, but they do the job.

I do need to replace the LEDs. The ones I had that were the correct size were white, and even with adding resistors they are still too bright. I just need to find a low output green or red and I should be good.

Anyway, very awesome EQ. Looking forward to what you have coming out next.

Thanks!

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_0668.JPG
    IMG_0668.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 175
many thanks for your comments on my new eq APP540.
I have just available the PCB's , BOM, schematic and .dxf and fpd files.

Pier Paolo

another app540  review is here

http://realgearonline.com/thread/5796/app540-500-series-discrete-eq

Hi group
I just wanted to give some feedback to Pier about his APP992 in my Sontec 250 clone from donclassics.com.
My background is that I do maintenance work in quite some studios, a bunch of mastering studios included, in my area. The latter ones all equipped with one or two Sontec EQs. From my first experience with a real Sontec on I was hooked on these. I consider them to be amongst the very finest EQs ever, if not the best at all (whatever best means...). So when Igors 8 channel kit became available I built them using 2604 opamps throughout. The first comparison the the real 250 was disappointing. While Igor´s kit is a fine EQ it has a totally different tonality and the HF band, which he unfortunately modified, couldn´t hold a candle compared to the original. In itself it´s a nice and versatile EQ, better than many if not most others. But still far away from  the real deal.
Later on when the Donclassic came out I made one of these for myself. First I´ve been using OPA132 at the input/summing position for money and convenience reasons but it quickly turned out that it didn´t have the headroom a real Sontec has, as well as it didn´t sound like a real Sontec. The HF band sounds a lot closer to the original than Igor´s version, though. That gave me hope at least and I changed the OPA chips to APP992 DOAs running on +-24V. That solved the headroom problem and the tonality came a lot closer to the original 250 boxtone, closer than any other version before. It still isn´t exactly the same, but I haven´t heard anything better yet.

So there you have it, my opinion at least. Give the APP992 DOA a try in your Sontec builds.

Has anyone tried the APP14GE opamps in their Sontec style builds?
I have the APP992's currently, but was interested for fun in what difference the  APP14GE  might give.

Hi, I am developing the new chassis, I hope to finish it very soon.
Pier Paolo

Hi All,

the new chassis has been fixed and it's ready to be used.
Actually I am not able to accept orders but I hope to be ready to handle them soon.
I have put you down for these kits. 
BTW is fine posting  orders here and PM or email me for my better organization.
thanks

Pier Paolo

Pier Paolo, sent you an email at end of January, still being waiting for a reply (and I'm italian so not so far!). Let me know. Thanks!

Mulmany said:
Are the APP992 dip8 versions still available?

Actually it isn't available since I am waiting the new stock of PCB's,
I will keep you posted.
thanks
best regards
Pier Paolo

ppa said:
Actually it isn't available since I am waiting the new stock of PCB's,
I will keep you posted.
thanks
best regards
Pier Paolo

Great. Thanks.