Cult DIY project: need your input

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Igor

Hey guys, I have a mind to make next cult DIY project at the level of Sontec, 33609 or 2254C.

This should be something really usefull, repeatable, and new.
I can bring my mind with electronics and pcb design.

As well, as cult project, I want to make it profit for both sides, me and you.
I.e. you will have all permissions to sell it to friends/customers, under your name of course,
and have a fun and pocket money for other projects.

It can be fully polished SSL comp design with all side-chain options at normally designed PCB, with easy wiring;
it can be pre's with controll room section;
it can be any compressor or EQ of any kind,
tube/solid state/chips...
Whatever.

It shoud not have any mess with any copyright laws and be really bestseller.

Waiting for your input!

Please, repeatable and no mess with copyrights at all.
16-tracks mixer with switchable A/P summing quite far :)
Yes, lined-up SSL with all options at one PCB and easy wiring comes in mind first as really missing here project.
I allmost caught heart attack when helped to friend from here to finalize his GSSL. Messy.
From the other side, it still SSL :)

Let's go for:

Specific
Measureable
Achievable
Realistic
Timely

design and call it SMART DIY project?

:)

Either way it would be cool to have a board that has pcb front panel controls on one end, and pcb xlr's on the other, using "standard" 19" case measurements, so very little off-board wiring is needed (only psu in fact).

That way you have a standard front panel, a standard rear panel and you only have to assemble the pcb's and the job's done, no drilling in the case required, the pcb is smashed between two panels.

Maybe it's time to make a channelstrip with "standards", having a specific front panel design for preamp, compression, and eq. Different designs of the same "standard" fitting can evolve in the future, making many combinations possible.

545 is plain VSF-based EQ, series configuration. We already have Sontec.
I personally dislike the idea of sound passing thru more than 4 op-amps in EQ circuit.
Summer looks good IMHO.
Simple 4 stereo input summer which can be configurated as summer or parallel box
for mastering...hm...
Well, I already have this in form of fully digitally-controlled
mastering console, and it easy can be cut down to DIY project.

@Arno: yes, this sounds perfect. I personally hate messy wiring.

Maybe it's time to make a channelstrip with "standards", having a specific front panel design for preamp, compression, and eq. Different designs of the same "standard" fitting can evolve in the future, making many combinations possible.

This is an excellent idea.

Cool! More input please!!!

What about some sort utility 1U rack, containing a (pair of) phase shifter, (sort of like the little labs IBP), and a pair of simple active MS matrix, all TRS in front of the rack, easy to patch?

Igor said:
Yes, lined-up SSL with all options at one PCB and easy wiring comes in mind first as really missing here project.

I vote for that!  ;D

All options at one PCB & easy wiring & all useful infos gathered in a human readable document:

Specific
Measureable
Achievable
Realistic
Timely

and

Unic
Simple
Extended
Full
Unlimited
Learn

How about a channel strip Mic Pre, EQ, Dynamics, with options of separate outputs for each or able to link them in various configurations...

Multiple pin configurations for capacitors, Electrolytic and Film. Common Pot type's, and multiple options on transformers.

Kaz

SSL channel strip - the works!

Pre with mic, line and Hiz switchable
Gate, Comp and EQ
And DOA traffo out.

Would that be too much?  8)

Ptownkid said:
Why redo the gssl when there's already a TON of info here on how to build it? Why not tackle something new?

You're right.
There are tons of info here about gssl.. maybe too much..
And I've read thousand posts about it, have all the PCBs and now I'm fine about building my own.
But  something like summarizing all that in a DIY kit with full documentation I think would be pretty useful.

Igor said:
... I want to make it profit for both sides, me and you.
... permissions to sell it to friends/customers, under your name of course,
and have a fun and pocket money for other projects.
DIY folks!!!

my vote goes out to somekind of channel strip, that you can switch between eq-comp post comp-eq.

basic operation, but good quality sound. maybe a couple of options in the trafo-ss topology?

How about a PDM compressor. There´s only a few around at all but they sound incredible. Crane Song STC8, Studer group/buss compressors or EMT156 are examples for commercial products. But it surely doesn´t have to be a clone. That´s boring. Since the technology behind this scheme is very advanced it could be interesting for Igor to get it up and running and for us a development-blog-kind-of-thing could provide us with a steep learning curve (if he wants to do all that typing).

Back