Can a Digi 001 go from 44.1 to 192kHz DAC and ADC's ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

777funk

Analog to Digital............ is it possible to make my Digi 001 run at 192kHz?

I think the Analog to Digital Converter is a group of shift registers and a clock.

What would I need to do to make this run at 192kHz?

I'd at least like to upgrade the ADC's. I don't care as much about playback as I do what the recording is seeing.

thanks!

the 001 was rumored to be an apogee design, but I cannot confirm this.  To my knowledge the 001 will not do 192. As far as upgeades, I believe black lion audio had some stuff for that.

777funk said:
Analog to Digital............ is it possible to make my Digi 001 run at 192kHz?

I think the Analog to Digital Converter is a group of shift registers and a clock.

What would I need to do to make this run at 192kHz?

I'd at least like to upgrade the ADC's. I don't care as much about playback as I do what the recording is seeing.

thanks!

Why?  Have you ever heard 192kHz recording?  If so what was it about it that you liked?

There are so many limiting factors in a piece of hardware like the 001 (I know, I owned several and worked them hard for years).  The analog input sections, the PSU, the clock and now the fact that they are unsupported by Digidesign and are not supported by anything after PT6.4 (IIRC).

There are so many reasons why upgrading these is a bad idea.  The stock 001 did not support anything above 48KHz.

Pick up a nice converter and run it into the spdif input.  And when you do you still need to worry about the mic, pre, room and talent so much more.

Best of luck,
Ruairi

forgive me if this sounds like a rant - i'm jetlagged to hell in another wrong timezone. :(

Converters are WAY more than a shift register and clocks.

Inside an ADC you have a modulator, typically running at 256fS (fS being the sample rate)
If it's a one bit modulator, it's basically comparing the current sample with the last one, and saying if it's higher or lower. There are multi-bit modulators on the market, but they are a little more complex.
From there, the high speed low bitcount data is sent to the digital filter/decimator, which, in laymans terms converts the 1 bit 2.8MHz data down to 44.1kHz 24bit data. (however, this filter typically takes up quite a bit of silicon real estate).

Anyway - point is, depending on the converters used, the output rate may not be achievable based on things like the modulator being too slow, the digital filter being limited (to make the silicon real estate small, and the device cheap).

Add to that, limits elsewhere in the system. For instance, a USB 1.0 device typically struggles to maintain greater than 44.1kHZ. There are a few implementations - however, most of the ones that support 96kHz can only do so in 1 direction. (e.g. Stereo ADC)

I don't think you'll notice a significant difference in running at a higher sample rate. Converters from 10 years ago (that's when the 001 was released) typically had rising noise levels at higher sampling frequencies. The out-of-band noise tends to rise at 40kHz or so.

Ruairi nailed it the best - there are so many more angles to improve before you get to your Digi 001. The converters are typically the cheapest part to improve these days, but if your still using cheap microphones in the spare room of your house, there's a lot more improvement that you could make in the signal chain and the room. Even the best converters in the world will sound like crap if you feed them with crap :)

Good luck :)

/R

And beyond the hardware level...

The drivers will have to support 192kHz.

Even if you could somehow make the hardware 192-capable, you'd have to have 192-capable drivers, which do not exist for the 001.

Skylar said:
And beyond the hardware level...

The drivers will have to support 192kHz.

Even if you could somehow make the hardware 192-capable, you'd have to have 192-capable drivers, which do not exist for the 001.

Unless your smarter than I and can DIY your self some drivers and support into PTLE 8.0 & Up...

If one would take the time and have the know how, it would be kudos for doing.  It's really more like polishing a turd and then bragging about it.

i have a digi 001 that was modified by black lion with a new clock added. sounds worlds better, never compared it with apogee or anything else, but it has worked well. i would not wanna diy this stuff, way over my head.

Back