tim´s ck12

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ioaudio

part 1 tim campbell or the art of capsule boxing:

normal_PICT0019.jpg

normal_PICT0020.jpg

normal_PICT0021.jpg

normal_PICT0022.jpg

normal_PICT0022.jpg

mounting the capsule on a small brass strip for use in the m147 housing:
normal_PICT0026.jpg

soldering the contacts, which is save and easy thanks to tim´s unique anti - solder packaging:
normal_PICT0028.jpg

before the first test:
inside the m147 there is a sub mini tube and a homegrown 1:9 transformer, i didnt take pics of the innards yet.
PICT0031.jpg

tim, congratulations, this is a awesome ck12!

-max

Awesome. Truly awesome.  8)

I've only soldered the contacts on a couple capsules, but I was so worried about splashing flux on the diaphragm.

You have to have a really steady hand and no interruptions when
working with a capsule like that. I just completed three installations
recently and I'm very happy with my results.

I noted that sometimes trying different sides of the capsule for the cardoid pattern
yields different results. One side of the caspule might sound better than the other
side when wiring it up for cardoid on a multipattern switchable Mic. try it,  you will
hear differences between the two.

obviously this is like brain surgery , careful and delicate work , one slip and the membrane is kaput. call it a day and a additional 2-300 dollars to re-skin . part of the learning process sometimes.

this is a great capsule. with the new version tim really nailed it - recommended!

i recorded some material today, but the takes were not that much inspiring, so i do not post the samples yet.

Hi Guys,

Tim is a bone fide superhero, first class! Official sanction to wear his underpants on the outside MUST be granted forthwith. . . .

I am absolutely Raving about his capsule. I stuck it in an Alctran HST 11a, with a FiveStar GE 6072. Everyone who has tried it has been smitten. It took me a month to get it back!! I cannot wait to swap out the output transformer for a Haufe T14/1 and make it more like a 251 with no cathode follower. Sounds amazing with the stock chinese innards as is, though!

Thank you Tim!

KIndest regards,

ANdyP

Here's another mic built with Tim's CK12. I wanted to try something different, so gutted an MXL 67i. The stock circuit was noisy, so all I retained except the body was the transformer. I actually built my circuit around that transformer (which is an awkward design like all those low step ratio china transformers). My circuit is kind of early AKG style but has a little more gain (the FET is not in source follower mode). There's only one coupling cap within the whole circuit. I wasn't quite happy the remaining 40V as the polarization voltage, so I put in a simple BJT DC/DC converter for propper 60V bias. The circuit is nothing too special, my main aim was to see if I could come up with something more satisfying than the familiar China circuit with about the same number of parts and the same transformer. I suppose Tim's capsule would really deserve a tube circuit with a little more character. But as is it performs nicely. Low noise, clean treble (passed the ringing keys test). I'm still in the process of tweaking some parts.

Tim's CK12 is obviously a much brighter capsule than Dale's M7. I'm usually not too keen on bright mics, but Tim's capsule is really nice. A bit more spitty, of course, (a tube circuit may cure that) to but not harsh and with that certain lively realism. The treble has that "sunny" and "breathy" quality. This is a great capsule for low male voices and soft singing in general. A ballad/pop capsule, if you will. I wouldn't use it on a screaming rocker.

Attachments

• TranLAM251_front_small.jpg
    TranLAM251_front_small.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 192
This is the DC/DC-converter side.

As you can see, Tim also makes holders with for conventional 1-screw mounts.

Attachments

• TranLAM251_back_small.jpg
    TranLAM251_back_small.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 175
Here's the finished mic. Well not quite finished. There's room for three switches. The original mic can be switched between the two sides of its dual diaphragm capsule, one being brighter than the other. I haven't quite decided on how to use Tim's CK12. The difference between its two sides is not huge. I might just use a conventional pattern switching scheme. But having three patterns would require a different switch than was originally installed.

Attachments

• TranLAM251_small.jpg
    TranLAM251_small.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 144
Back