New Design 1176 Boards + 900 Power Supply Boards

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dmp said:
Thanks for your response. I measured the noise floor for prototype I built last night and it was really low, ~-120dB... so it isn't that it's a problem. I'm just thinking about it, always trying to learn, in the quest of trying to figure out what separates the great equipment from the not so great.  I think your 1176 boards have a ground plane - does this add significantly to the cost? (if you don't mind me asking)
Ideally, wouldn't the best situation be for the PCB to have a complete ground plane that is only connected to chassis ground and completely isolated from the audio ground (which would be on the other side)? I don't think the 1176 boards do this.

Nice to hear that the 1108 prototype board had such a low noise floor. I had no problems with it myself but then my prototype build was in a normal (test) case.

It's the second time I've laid out a board that way with separate tracks running to a central point. I got the idea after seeing various audio amplifier PCBs at work. The first one was the stereo linking board I designed for Hairball.

Essentially what I think your describing would be like a sub-enclosure for one side of the PCB. I guess if there's a lot of noise being generated inside your equipment radiating toward the top where you have a chassis ground plane it would help. It's an interesting idea and maybe looking more like a drawing board topic for greater minds than my own.

From memory, it actually doesn't add significantly to the cost to add a second layer. With the cost of copper it seems like you would get better value the less etching your design required, but I'll bet the factory recovers the etched metal and has this somehow calculated into their prices.

The single layer G1176-like board set with its larger total surface area is actually very close to the same cost as the other two layer boards sets but I price them to encourage the beginner DIYer to try these first as the build is better documented.

armand1234 said:
If I want a 1176 single, I need the separate power supply?

From the first post: "Separate power supply is not required for a single board set! "

I also received this question in an email today:

"Hello my name is _______ from spain.
I would like to buy 5 1176 pcb rev J, but I have problems with my paypal. Can I use another way of sending money? (Bank transfer).

From the FAQ linked at the bottom of the first post:

"Q: Do you accept bank transfers? Western Union?

A: Sorry, but I only accept Paypal. "

I also recently received this email:

"Hi! I want to bye one set of this PCB's Please send me invoice with shiping tax to Russia, Moscow. I will pay from my PayPal account."

From the FAQ:

"Q: Can you send me a Paypal invoice?

A: Sorry, no - please total your order by yourself and send a Paypal using my Paypal ID listed in the boards sales post. "

maybe looking more like a drawing board
Last comment I promise! (sorry for muddying up your wm thread)
Essentially what I think your describing would be like a sub-enclosure for one side of the PCB.
Also, could think of it as shielding for the pcb, in the same way you would use shielded, twisted pair wire.
Another benefit is that pads (chassis gnd) for wire shielding can be placed next to audio connections, anticipating the wiring will be shielded. I've learned the hard way that connecting the wire shield to an audio ground pad isn't a good idea.

Hello Mnats, two questions...

In the BOM, the input pot does not appear. Which I have to put?

And is the Zero Adjust Pot necessary?? In the Overlay does not appear like pot

Thanks

All orders placed during my recent break have shipped in two batches this week. Thanks to all who ordered for your patience.

armand1234 said:
In the BOM, the input pot does not appear. Which I have to put?

And is the Zero Adjust Pot necessary?? In the Overlay does not appear like pot

Please post your build questions to the appropriate build thread.

You have not specified which version you are referring to but after looking at all current versions of my own BOMs each lists either a T Attenuator or input pot for the IC input version.

AudioguyII said:
Hello

I sent paypal for 2 rev A 1176 boards, just wondering if they were shipped.

thx so much

Paypal ID Unique Transaction ID # 30223171G1018611J

[email protected]

For reasons known only to Paypal I did not receive a notification of your transaction. But I should have picked it up during my regular processing. Sorry about that.

Your boards will ship with the next batch on or before the 15th of December.

To mnats or anyone who has used the FS900... Will it put out 1000mA on +-15V rails? And can I run it without the 24V section?

Heads up - Just placed an order for (3) 1176 Rev D PCB Kits and (2) Power Supply PCB's.  Paid $82 via Paypal 2 minutes ago.

Any ETA on when these will ship out with X-mas and all?

Thanks a million!!!  8)

Randyman... said:
Heads up - Just placed an order for (3) 1176 Rev D PCB Kits and (2) Power Supply PCB's.  Paid $82 via Paypal 2 minutes ago.

Thanks a million!!!   8)

Due to the international date line, we are one day ahead here so in a few short hours it will be the day before Christmas. As I will be on the road for much of the day I will not likely be able to send out any orders tomorrow (a large batch went today).

As you learned from my acknowledgment email the next time I will ship is Wednesday the 29th of December 2010 which is the first day the post offices will be open here following the holiday.

baadc0de said:
To mnats or anyone who has used the FS900... Will it put out 1000mA on +-15V rails? And can I run it without the 24V section?

This earlier question was answered in the FS900+ thread linked from the first post. Please post questions relating to boards or board orders to this thread and your questions about specific projects to the project threads linked in the first post. Thanks.

paypaled for 2x rev J pcb sets
cheers :)

EDIT: Boards Arrived safe today (7th jan11) and look great  ;D
thanks

Hi Mako,
My name is Greg Bieck.
I purchased a 1176 RevA board set on or around Dec. 14th.  Unfortunately, someone broke into our mail box and stole our mail on New Years (including a bank card and lots of $$).  8-(  I had stopped the mail, but the new post-man did not stop delivering our mail. 

Anyway, everything is going to be ok, but I'm not sure if the boards were in the mail the day the mail was stolen.  I have not yet received them, I'm hoping they were not in the mail that day since I've read it takes up to a month for the boards to arrive.  Just wanted to give you a heads up.  I've got the HB case mostly wired-up and I am super anxious to start on the circuit board.  :cool:

Do you think I should have received them by now?  I live in Nashville,TN.  If so, I guess I'll order another set of boards right away so I don't have to wait too much longer.

Anyway, Happy New Year.  I appreciate all the work you've put in to the design.  It looks Awesome.

bless,
Greg

bieckmusic said:
Do you think I should have received them by now?  I live in Nashville,TN.  If so, I guess I'll order another set of boards right away so I don't have to wait too much longer.

First of all, thanks for posting your question here - it makes it much easier to keep track of and keeps the order process transparent.

Due to the holidays most shipments have been delayed. Yours was sent on the 17th as you would have been informed from the acknowledgment email.

Please wait another week or so. If you don't receive your boards I'll send out a replacement set. Thanks again!

I just got my A and D boards today! Also, I just ordered two A and two D boards with two PSU cards to make a couple stereo units today.

Chris

Randyman... said:

Thanks a million!!!   8)

Hello mnats/Mako,

I e-mailed you, but your first post in this thread mentioned to post about order issues here....

I placed the above order on Dec 22nd, and ordered and paid for (3) 1176 Rev D PCB's (with rotary boards) and (2) of the PSU PCB's.  I got a package on Friday, but it only had (2) 1176 Rev D boards (and rotary boards).  I'm missing the 3rd Rev D PCB (and rotary board) and both of the PSU PCB's.

I'm assuming you might have split the order into 2 packages and hopefully I'll see the other stuff next week - but I figured I'd check in with you in the meanwhile.

Thanks for any clarification!

Slightly OT but related to my order - Can I just populate both Rev D power supply sections and parallel the 2 boards to the common Mains power transformer?  I already have the components to populate both on-board PSU's and I'm going to use a 50VA 30v/30v transformer.  Regardless, I'd like to get your PSU PCB's for other projects.  I can post this in the Rev D thread if you think its more appropriate there...

Thanks!  8)

Back