U87 innards.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depending on condition the U87 can fetch between $1700 to $2300 on ebay. Why to waste a perfectly fine piece of equipment? For that price you could get a kit and make your own world class mic and still spare for a six pack...

Best, M

rrs said:
parts of my U87 will come in use for maybe a diy project

I would do the opposite. Get a good capsule for a diy project (g7 or so)
And keep the U87 like it is. It's a great mic !
It's easier to diy a good tube mic than a solid state one like the 87 (I don't see many cloned here ???)

Arno said:
rrs said:
parts of my U87 will come in use for maybe a diy project

I would do the opposite. Get a good capsule for a diy project (g7 or so)
And keep the U87 like it is. It's a great mic !
It's easier to diy a good tube mic than a solid state one like the 87 (I don't see many cloned here ???)

Well I think i've mised out on the whole MK7 tube mic which is happening here. Looks like a great project but the broup buys seem to be closed.

http://www.equinoxsystems.net/community/node/1
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=30124.0

the mic body design is in progress
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=30742.0
You can still order one when the design is finished.

The Mk7 on the other hand was a limited run. But I think Max (ioadio) is working on new transformers with a different core

Maybe it was a bad tube but I heard the innertube audio retrofit u-87 and it was noisy, far more them acceptable  for normal operation conditions. That being said I have hear the innertube audio tube 451 retrofit and it sounded great. I would keep the solid state circuit that way you can use either or and have different sonic flavor

Arno said:
the mic body design is in progress
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=30742.0
You can still order one when the design is finished.

The Mk7 on the other hand was a limited run. But I think Max (ioadio) is working on new transformers with a different core

That sounds promising.
I would rather DIY one. I think I may hold out for that.

Hi,

I have an Innertube u87 retrofit. It is a wonderful addition to my armoury. It is a very bright mic, and does not suit many vocalists, although with a few it is truly awe inspiring. It is great for percussion, acoustic gtr, and I love it as a distant room mic. They studio we use for live recording also has one, so I often use a pair.

HOWEVER, it is NOT cheap now the Pound has fallen, and cannot be exported directly from the US into the UK, since it is not RHOS compliant, or I think that is what Wade(?) told me. Please correct me if I am wrong in this. I don't know about Australia. Definitely KEEP your original u87 innards, if you go for the Innertube. You will find it much easier to sell if you ever have to, and you get two very different flavours in the interim.

For your money, I am certain you can get much more if you are prepared to DIY. There are options that do not require much engineering or electronic skills, as well as building from the body up. I have recently purchased an Alctron HS-11a(same as Apex 460, NADY etc. I intend to convert it to something very similar to a C12/251, but with m49 type remote pattern switching using the C12VR conversion circuit posted by Oliver at Klaus's place. I have installed a CT12 (CK12 copy) from Tim Cambell in Denmark. Unbelievably good capsule, and without having done an A/B comparison with an old CK12, effectively the same thing in my mind/ears. Very good value for money too. I swapped out the crappy Chinese 12ax7b tube for a GE 6072 fivestar, reduced the HT to 120V with 2 zener diodes, and it sounds amazing. I intend to change circuit to no cathode follower, and a Haufe T14/1 output transformer. I haven't got time right now, and as I said, it sound great already. Cost so far, £120 for the Alctron, £250 for the capsule, £40 for the transformer that I am not even using, £1 for the zeners, and 15 minutes solder time. So approx £400 for a seriously useful mic. The next stage of conversion is more involved for sure.
   It is awesome where i would use a C12 or 251, ie female lead and bv's, percussion, overhead acoustic, etc,

I am certain that you could do something similar with one of Dales 47 capsules, for example, and make something completely different sounding too for minimal effort. if you have the skills, then one of the other projects round here will surely do the trick!

Kindest regards,

ANdyP

And DEFINITELY replace the stock russian 6922 in Innertube retrofit with a decent NOS e88cc, such as a Siemens. I can also recommend a National CCa which is reasonable value, and sounds best of all the different e88cc types I tried in the Innertube mic. (Earlier versions used a 6072 I believe.). Buy a few, and see which one is quietest, and sweetest!

Stock 87 amp is quite fun to mod !

i´ve done many mods on mine. Removed feedback, changed coupling cap, removed coupling cap between capsule and FET, New FET...

It is a BRIGHT mic now. Very open. Same qualities as strangeandbouncy says on his post. Not for everyone. It has a similar top end as a blueberry, but with balls. The blueberry sounds anemic when compared to my modded 87. Thanks Gus for the advice on this ! have a look at this topic i started a while ago :http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=29958.0

On the other hand, maybe one day you´ll want to sell your 87...anyway, keep the electronics !

Best regards

Latest posts

Back