Patch cable to carry 24V rail?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abby normal

I've seen some interesting ways of tying together a power supply to a preamp via cabling. I'm linking the power supply from a Fetboy to a Forssell comp. Both in small seporate, and very portable enclosures.

I've been thinking up an  easy way they could share the same power supply. Both use +24V/-24V and ground. I'm looking for a simple solution that if this power cable was accidentally lost you could just grab something on hand or run out to "The Shack" to buy something to make due. I came up with the (stereo 1/4" phone) patch cable idea. I know that patch cable is meant for signal not voltage but I've seen thinner gauge two wire used for wall worts.

Any thoughts against it?

the cable should handle it fine.  My only concern would be that someone takes that TRS cable and accidentally plugs it into a signal input on something.  Most devices have DC blocking caps standard but Murphy's law dictates that the one box you accidentally plug this into will not have it and you'll blow it up.  ;)

I think you would run into problems when you either insert or remove the cable - the tip will come into contact with the ring and the sleeve of the jack, and the ring will come into contact with the sleeve. you'll end up with +24v on -24v or ground, etc. An xlr would be ok. I'm not sure if you could use just any xlr cable or if you would want to put xlr ends on a cable rated for your application - Best, Ben

Svart said:
the cable should handle it fine.  My only concern would be that someone takes that TRS cable and accidentally plugs it into a signal input on something.  Most devices have DC blocking caps standard but Murphy's law dictates that the one box you accidentally plug this into will not have it and you'll blow it up.   ;)

That was exactly my knee jerk reaction. If someone who did not know what was up did something stupid like that? Ouch. :(

plumsolly said:
I think you would run into problems when you either insert or remove the cable - the tip will come into contact with the ring and the sleeve of the jack, and the ring will come into contact with the sleeve. you'll end up with +24v on -24v or ground, etc. An xlr would be ok. I'm not sure if you could use just any xlr cable or if you would want to put xlr ends on a cable rated for your application - Best, Ben

You could turn the power supply unit off first before unplugging it. I would do that anyway but I like the xlr idea as a better option. You  also can find mic cable much easier than patch cable if in a pinch.  ;)

Just to add, this is for a portable application. I would be the only one using this for the most part. And I'm always misplacing cables and such.  :D

A semi standard studio shop way of doing it is with a 4 pin xlr. It prevents mistakes...

I would use a specific cable and connector to avoid any problems.
And I would solder the cable inside one of the unit, this way one cannot loose it, forget it, or have it borowed!

I like to use this kind of connector for such applications, cheap, sturdy, and available at any radioshack....

Axel

Attachments

• mic-4pinplug-lg.jpg
    mic-4pinplug-lg.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 40
Back