Orange 86 Build Thread - no PCBs for sale

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i totally agree deuce42 :)

guavatone : did you use multi_tone or single sweep for the frequency response ?

kam

guavatone said:
Hmm.  Both are checked in Rightmark.  Does this mean one overides the other?

i suppose, this is to me...
no, both are calculated differently... but which graph did you posted ?
single sweep, or multi tone ?

kam

Mistake in BOM
Change R19-21 to 620 Ohm 2W Koa part: MOS2C621J
also change R18 to 200R 2W

sorry for the trouble.

I am slowly building mine, got the edcors finally ordered, they are behind 3-4 weeks on everything.

Misread some specs and need to reorder a few parts, not much though.

http://www.musikding.de/product_info.php/language/en/info/p1400_Toroidal-transformer-230V----270V--14V.html
HI, is it possible to use a toroidal transformer( sec : 270V-0 , 14V-0) from Musikding ( the above link) in a dual  Orange 86 with DC heaters.
If it's possible, what changes would I have to do with the PSU. I have already the suggested Edcor PT, but I think thats too big and heavy for my 2U rack case, which has a very thin backplate and cannot support the Edcor as it is. Of course I could modify the rack case for the Edcor PT but w/toroid the case would be strong enough.
By the way, I'd like to know how other builders have mounted the PT and OT's. Would it be better to mount the OT's outside the chassis(in a 90 degrees angle)?
I would greatly appreciate your info!
Regards, Jyrki
P.S. Is there prebuild cases for Orange86 anywhere?

Can someone confirm parts on and PCB and BOM..

"C5 - 1uF/350V - MKP10-1/400/10 -Will fit Solen or others as wells as POI bypass"

Is that Interstage and Output Bypass caps named on PCB?

bongolijus said:
Can someone confirm parts on and PCB and BOM..

"C5 - 1uF/350V - MKP10-1/400/10 -Will fit Solen or others as wells as POI bypass"

Is that Interstage and Output Bypass caps named on PCB?
C5 is the Output cap
C3 is the interstage cap
The bypass cap for each one will be noted by a straight line, parallel to the caps

I can see footprints for " SQUISH " on the pcb. Is it for a switch that connects the screen grid cap to ground or somethin else.I can't find any information about that in the build docs. Can someone explain me this. I apologise my previous question about the PT option , I'll just have to make a more sturdy backplate for the edcor PT. But still I'm wondering if it's better to mount the OT's outside the chassis for less interference with other transformers.??
Regards , jyrki3101

jyrki3101 said:
I can see footprints for " SQUISH " on the pcb. Is it for a switch that connects the screen grid cap to ground or somethin else.I can't find any information about that in the build docs. Can someone explain me this. I apologise my previous question about the PT option , I'll just have to make a more sturdy backplate for the edcor PT. But still I'm wondering if it's better to mount the OT's outside the chassis for less interference with other transformers.??
Regards , jyrki3101

The Squish is just to experiment with Compression.  I forgot to mention in the build docs, but it is very important.
Make sure you Jumper the Squish Pads together if you do not want it.  I would start without it to make
sure the preamp works,then play with it to see if it's something you like.  Maybe add a pot with a switch so it can be shorted
when the squish is not in use.

Insert a 500K pot wired as a variable resistor.

Based on this from AX84
http://www.ax84.com/static/corepreamps/Blues/AX84_Blues_Preamp_Schematic.pdf

Thank you so much for your comprehensive information,Charlie!.  At one point it came into my mind that it might have something to do with compression, but all the rest was just guessing....
With kind regards, jyrki3101

Hi there again,

Can someone confirm these things:

1. C7, C9, C15 HT Bypass Caps 3 MKS4-.1/630/10 Wima 15mm LS - Are here enough 250VDC caps?
2. What is the value of C1 on DI PCB?
3. What are the value of these on PSU PCB? D14? D15? R15? C19?

Thank you very much.

Back