Adding channels to my TRIDENT 80B console - Please help !

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keeno

Hi !
I have some (10) Trident spare channels plus the motherboards that I would like to add to my 32channel Trident 80B.
I have an extra PSU also. Would it be possible to just recalculate the summing resistors ( + Aux + groups ) and get away with a 42channel console ?  ::)  Is anyone familiar with this board ?
thank you very much !!

Hi Keeno,
Nice project to "extend" your 80B  :)
I know well this console now, as I upgraded a 80B last year... different project than you, but a big job anyway...
For multitrack, aux and 2-track busses I think you can connect them direct to the existing busses.
You'll just have to change a few resistors on the summing amps to correct for a few dB's of nominal gain adjustment, no big deal.
For power supply I think that a single bigger power supply would be the best solution than to add another unit; first try it with the PS you have, and see if there is any additional noise/hum.
It can also be the opportunity to build a better PS than the original ones...
The most difficult part that I see ( for me, may be not for you ? ) would be the mechanical side, you have to build an extension frame if you want to fit the additional modules within the original chassis.
The mic preamp and eq are good sounding, but the mix summing and outputs amps are sucking,( when you have more than 10..15 signals summed on the mix bus the sound turns muddy and crap ) and this is where to upgrade first.  You have to seriously consider this if at the end you want to have a GREAT and ... unique sounding desk  :)
Good luck on this project.
Guy

Hi Guy ,
thanks for your reply! You are right about the crappy PSU - I have to get a bigger and better PSU in the future that will have enough current for all the channels. Do you think the console will get too noisy if I add more channels to the existing summing amps ? I've seen some bigger 80B consoles then mine - I think up to 52 channels. Do you know how the summing is done in such big boards ?
thanks again - k.

I have successfully combined two series 80 to a single 62 channel desk (by cutting away the master section of the additional desk and connecting the busses together). I didn't change anything in the summing amp and used a second, original power supply for the additional 30 channels. I wated to post detailled info
for this project a long time ago, maybe I'll get my head around it in the next few weeks...

trident.jpg

There's not much to say. A lot of metal- and woodwork, the electronic side is very straightforward as I said, just combining the busses (+solo, cue, etc), that's about all we did.

Hi Crisotop,

Congrats for the work you did at assembling this " beast " of Trident ! I am impressed.

You wrote : " I didn't change anything in the summing amp "

This is where a lot can be done to upgrade the sound of this board.

Last year, on a 30 channels 80B, I replaced the summing section with Jensen 990's and transformers.
I also fully redesigned and rebuilt the monitoring section. I spend a lot of time on this, but it was well worth  :)
From the words of the owner the sound has dramatically improved in details, headroom, noise, this is now " another board ".
Before, after summing a dozen of channels, he says that the sound started to be muddy, now he can mix his 30 + 24 channels without any problem.

Best,
Guy

crisotop said:
I have successfully combined two series 80 to a single 62 channel desk (by cutting away the master section of the additional desk and connecting the busses together). I didn't change anything in the summing amp and used a second, original power supply for the additional 30 channels. I wated to post detailled info
for this project a long time ago, maybe I'll get my head around it in the next few weeks...

HOLY COW that thing is huge!!!!  Wouldn't it have been cooler to end up with the master section in the middle?  You'll be throwing your back out having to swing your chair getting from ch1 to the master section!!!!  Very impressive though

Latest posts

Back