Output cap placement in tube mic amps

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rotation

Hi,

When reading certain posts about design of tube mic amps, i found suggestion about moving output coupling cap from HI to LOW side of output transformer when there is no global feedback.
I would think it doesn't matter where cap is, it will stop DC in anyway. Well, it looks like i don't understand something here, can anyone please explain what's up with this?

burdij said:
It doesn't matter. There is a lot of mythology out there. People give electrons way too much personality.

my electrons got up in a real bad mood this morning. Resistance was higher as usual but I let my preamps burn in for a few hours to get the right electric flow

::) ::)

burdij said:
It doesn't matter. There is a lot of mythology out there. People give electrons way too much personality.

Some of the Mythology dates back to preferences by Western Electric. 
Pultec also put it on the cold side of one of their makeup amps.

Sometimes I hear no difference.  But mostly, on the fun stuff I play with, I do.
Sometimes, it's part of the design and there is interaction:  I might be returning to the cathode rather than audio common.

I'd say, if you hear a difference, put it in the spot you like best.  If you hear no difference, put it anywhere. 
It's your amp baby  :)

Well, i tried it over the weekend and couldn't hear any difference. But this was in 47 without feedback so this probably influenced my result quite a lot. I also tried it with another preamp (not as good as the other) and i couldn't hear nothing either.
I will report back when i try it with something that function really well so i can hear some difference.

Miha

Go here for a good writeup on outside foil in caps
http://www.aikenamps.com/

Tech info
Advanced
"Where to connect outside foil on caps"

Is it possible one is mistaking this for moving the cap position but not taking into mind the outside foil orientation?

Well sure; so many variables.   Some would argue wound versus stacked construction, etc etc too.   Possible output transformer in question could influence perception of difference, depending on it's capacitance and orientation.  Orientation of single ended transformers can be make or break in regards to proper response. 

Latest posts

Back