Thoughts on this power supply

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

signalflow

Was wanting to power some active electronics via 2 9V batteries and came up with this

l_6aa4219269d94680a4eddd37a94c7c29.png

It's the KPS1 power supply just with 2 9V in series to give me 18V which then turns into +-15.
The only thing I'm not sure about is if it's ok running the Batteries through the rectifier.

I did a search for battery powered stuff but all that came up were "yeah I did it" but not how.  if I've over looked something please point me in the right direction.

Thanks

-Casey

It's all wrong. You need (4) nine volt batteries in series to get the voltages you need. Ground them in the middle and take the + and - off the ends. No need for the rectifier it's already DC. Not even sure if I would bother with the regulators...their main function here is to drain the batteries.

battery is DC, you don't have to rectify.... you can remove the 2 big caps (one of those is reversed, in your schema it will blow)

do a search here in the META, there is lot of usefull information

If you switch over and listen to your new circuit on good batteries, it can be quite humbling if you just got through thinking you'd designed yourself a good linear supply.

However, not all batteries are good.  Bad ones can be worse than a quite average linear supply.   

> 9V in series to give me 18V which then turns into +-15.

As said: that won't add-up.

And rect and caps are useless.

If you want battery "+/-15V", first think: do you really NEED 30V total swing? We run 7Vrms levels in studio partly to overcome the universal buzz. But "battery" often means you are nowhere near buzz. And that power is not free in the wall, but very expensive. Which makes "regulation" a luxury you should try to give up. And most recorders will be fine with 1V levels. You need 2.8V supply. With losses and headroom, 6V or 9V battery can be ample, IF you stop thinking like a studio-geek.

And most "+/-15V" units will tolerate +/-18V or +/-10V perfectly well. There are a few which actually use the rails as reference; most are very un-fussy.

I done a lot of work with two 9V batts, +/-9V.

If you truly need "more", stack 'em as shown. ALL the chips we habitually feed +/-15V are rated 36V total, +/-18V. To get good battery life, you should plan to run a "9V" batt down to 6V, or +/-12V, which will still be fine even for most studio work.
index.php

Attachments

• Batt-15V-15V.gif
    Batt-15V-15V.gif
    5.3 KB · Views: 147

Latest posts

Back