AKG D12 repair attempt...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i managed to repair a tweeter lately .(original ones unobtainable and no after market ones either ).fortunately one of the wires was broken right at the coil , ... a steady hand , being able to see good at short distances , ( or a magnifying glass) , tiny tools , and you go .
one winding less makes no difference , at least to my ears and at a tweeter.
sure , the coil of a D12 is quite smaller ,... but may be possible to do

Good info there! Thanks.

Is there a list anywhere of other mics they used the d12 diapragm in?
Perhaps there are cheaper mics which be bought for the part?

My d12 membranes are beyond repair, but.............

I had a 57 where the glue had dried up and the membrane was loose.
In the repair attempt, the coil wires snapped very easily.

So, a 57...who cares right?why not have a butchers.

The coil is glued to the membrane in spots, but the membrane is how would you say, corrugated? There are gaps between the coil and membrane at points.

This made it easy to completely remove the coil, tease out the wire ends, then glue it back in place.

It worked. OK, it sounds a little dull because I was too liberal with the glue, but it worked.
It made me think how hard could it be to just make diaphragms and coils?

I figure a mould can be taken of an old membrane, a new one pressed (from the right material), a coil wound, and glued in place. Simples, right?

I failed to remove my d12 coils from the diaphragms, but if anyone manages this then it's even easier. You just gota wind a new coil and glue it in place.

My thought is I could probably do this, but badly, so surely someone here can do it well?

Thoughts?

if you rip the tranny out of the 57 you will have the killer bass drum mic,

when used in conjunction with a speaker mic of course,

ask the Soundguy,

what happened to SSLKeef? is he the Drip guy?

dude said he was gonna meet me at SFO one time, flakester,  :eek:

i think Scenaria got locked up for something, or OD'ed on Red Bull,

does anybody have some Stephen Paul matched KM84's for sale?

Tony, where is that new mic?

My thought is I could probably do this, but badly, so surely someone here can do it well?

I have extensive experience doing exactly this and I've been begging for a machinist for a couple of years now... bring back Lou Burroughs

The detail needs to be absolutely precise, the diaphragm flutes are very very important. 

The tooling requirement is so niche and small scale in nature there doesn't seem to be much interest in the job.  Perhaps the skill required is upper echelon stuff?  I don't know, I'm not a machinist. 

Unfortunately unless you are the machinist this is going to be cost inhibitive.  I've considered yet to have found a local foundry DIY or otherwise willing to give investment casting a try.

steenamaroo had a good idea of trying to track down an existing coil/diaphragm assembly.  There's no reason it wouldn't 'work' so long as the coil lives comfortably within the gap.  Then again this is not going to be the same as if it had the proper assembly.

MicDaddy said:
since we're off on this tangent, I happen to like the beta 52a a lot, I prefer the attack/click it gives for live rock/metal.  It's not a bad mic for recording either.

RE20, M88, D25, D12 all get kick duty around here. They all sound different but they all take EQ well. I don't find that to be the case with more modern types, you're generally stuck with what they give you.

For example, I've got a D112 that rarely sees the light of day, in fact I don't think I've used it in over ten years.

Regards,
Mark

Biasrocks said:
don't find that to be the case with more modern types, you're generally stuck with what they give you.
Agreed, sometimes it's just what the gig calls for, and in a pinch for time the 'tuned' mics are quick and easy.  I know what I'll get if I throw up a 52a. 

It hasn't been mentioned but the EV 868 is a badass kick mic as well.  I don't care much for the D112.

ok so where do you put the condenser/fet mic when doing the 2 mic thing?

seems like it would blow up if too close and get too much bleed if it were to far, wtf, over?  :-\

CJ said:
wow, need a tight capsule for that,

i also like the sm7b

here is a pretty cool kic mic shootout>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki3UtgNR4C0

Yep, 47fet is super cardioid.

As for placement, hold the back of your hand near the skin as the drummer hits, place the mic where the most air is moving. Building a tent with Packing blankets help with leakage.

Regards,
Mark

Hey everybody,  anybody with a D12 care to confirm some measurements for me?  As close to .xxx as possible

-OD voice coil
-ID voice coil
-gap width
-confirm if coil leads are dressed 'on top' or 'under' diaphragm?
-awg magnet wire
-material: copper, alum, etc..
-# of turns per layer
-# of layers

Any dead, open coil diaphragms would help if anyone cares to donate.  If they are distorted, dented, rounded flutes, or other than perfect disregard.

Back