FINISHED PROJECT: Neve 1272 hotrod mod, fortified with Guavatone

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kato

Very pleased to introduce my completed Hotrod 1272. It's been completed for a year now except for the non-functioning DI. Last week I gave up and performed an ugly kludge to get the DI in service. I'm very thankful for every one who helped out, allowing a relative newb to build a top-notch pre. Thanks especially to Greg S. and JLM for bringing the hotrod mod to the masses, NYD for help with the relay power, Fabio for the BA283 board, Rascal Audio for the Texas Marinair copies, and Charlie for the asskicking relay boards. (!!!)
guinness.png

pictures

overhead shot - planned on doing 2 channels. Cutting back to 1 = a cavernously-empty enclosure.
01-overhead.jpg

front-panel left
02-front_panel_left.jpg

Supposed to be a cheesy, videogame "level up" graphic, but it didn't transfer - only the words came through.
Learned something about lasertran: shades of grey come out completely clear. (?!)
03-front_panel_right.jpg

switchbank
04-switch_closeup.jpg

power station with Handcrafted Tone's PSU board, and separate board for relay 12v
05-PSU-relay_power.jpg

switchbank - overhead shot fromt the inside
06-switchbank.jpg

closeup of DI board with embarrassingly chaotic wiring, and hacked switch to power DI relay manually
07-DI_closeup.jpg

relay board, line amp, and output transformer
08-relay_board-line_amp.jpg

underside of relay board
relay_board.jpg

relevant threads

10468 Relay PCB
Relay switching transistor schematic from this post
getting a simple 12v for powering relays

also, a rather pointless video demonstrating the non-functioning DI switching, which I finally gave up on.
(eventually I will rebuild the DI board to get it working, but for now, here's my 'get 'er done' method.)

Guavatone,

What are the benefits of your relay board or relay's in general , I'm thinking cleaner signal path less wiring .

maybe you can add your experience with this , I'd be interested in your reply.

I have made projects without relays, but would like to get more insight on thier benefits.

nice work

Nice one Kato!!!!

I really like the unique Front Panel style, esp the fruitiness.

as far as the Relays, I think they just make things easier.  After planning out the Orange 86 project I realized that sometimes
they help and sometimes they are unnecessary.  I have since become more of a fan of having polarity switched on the preamps output
so that the switching is not amplified 10, 20 to ? decibels.

One of the argument for relay switching control boards is that the audio is not sunning throughout the box.
-Now I am just using shielded wire when it runs through the box.

But I do miss having less spaghetti in my diet. ... figuratively speaking, since I just had one of the best pasta meals in a loooong time.

Kato, you da man...
sa-weet boxing.  I hope it sounds good.

Back