Mid Life Crisis

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like lofi's mentality. A lot! :)

Over the last year I've worked at a factory (earlier I used to run studio things and try to survive with the money I got) and it's my longest 'real' job so far. I'm 29, so I'm far from the mid-age but they talk about the 30'ies chrisis. When I go out, I go to clubs with around 20y old youngs; Not because of them being young, but the music they like.. it's mostly what I also like, although I think the youngs have become lazier and unenergetic in compared to past years (no more hardcore raves, the tempo is half of that these days). I think they sometimes think I'm an old fart (not in your eyes though but don't think it that way for your own sake), especially when I think how I used to feel about near 30'ies when I was 20 sharp, but I don't think I'm any older than they are... I'm very comfortable in that crowd, and I find myself thinking I'm 21.

The REASON why we SHOULD think we are heaps lot younger, is regarding our own health. There was just lately an experiment with having 70-80 year old men put inside a hotel, which was renovated all around to look just like the 1980ies, and they were held in there for a week and told to think as if it was the 1980ies. After the week their relatives and friends got to examine their old mates and the results were stunning; Many claimed their 70/80 year old pap was looking a lot younger and energetic than before. The test persons also had gained healthy benefits, one of them being no pain from arthritis on wrists.

There was a 99 year old danish granny on a documentary on TV just lately. Very bright, humoristic and in-to-life type of an old woman. She had 99th birthday party and said to guests "what... 99? you got that wrong, it is 29." Her drive and thrill in to life, thinking positive and the young attitude were the key in living a successful and long life despite the bad things she had gone through (ie. a pyroman burning their house and her husband 40 years earlier but she doesn't think about it).

My grand mother is 81. She's a type of woman we call a "iron-granny" taking booze sometimes a bit too much and raving about the cleaning of house and so on. She doesn't think she's old. I don't think she's old. And still as she's not old, she would think you guys are nice young boys.

SO! Do not think you are middle aged. The number is only a number. It is what's inside our mind and heart that counts.

It's never too late to start living your dream, it's a matter of going for it. If you don't get there, at least it's a really nice ride! :)

What crisis? Is it another learned pattern?
Ask a 60 or 70 year old about how they lived. They don't lurk here though.
Many say to find a cause: there are far richer rewards than the gadgets around you.
Once in a while I like to read Siddhartha from Hermann Hesse.
It makes me realize that even the simplest things can provide happiness and hope.
Sometimes it is just the joy of being.

Agreed about grease and oil.
I have a motorcycle [never owned a car] whose nearly only original part is now the reservoir.
Too bad I have no more a garage [divorce's side effects] and the bike is now at mechanician workshop for more than 1 month,
with me harassing him many times a week.
That, really hurts in mid life crisis.

Ptownkid said:
I'm starting to notice a bit of a trend...there's a lot of divorce among diyers.
I qualify...to be fair my divorce was long before I found this place and this hobby.

I think its cool you do decks Ptown, I was in construction for 30 years and my body is complaining about it.

built the largest open span log building in the Southwest with a little help from Canada. (Built about 90% of this camp)

And Sahib hit it on the head with the thoughts about "recovery time"...I stilll have energy but it takes longer to get over the bangs and bruises...invincibility seems to be fading fast.

I read a report years ago about deathbed "regrets"...almost universally people said they would have traveled more and spent more time with family and friends...

I have grandkids now...(I had five kids before I was 30)...I am really enjoying that but I have also decided to grow my hair long again...my kids are horrified...I am having some fun with that.

Ptownkid said:
I'm starting to notice a bit of a trend...there's a lot of divorce among diyers.

It is what it is...but it's a form of survival when you look at from the inside out.

This was my midlife crisis :

original.jpg

3 litre 24v version and gorgeous Pininfarina design - went like a rocket and cost me about £5 every time
just to start it up !!!

Got over it now .... but still miss that beauty :-(

MM.

analag said:
Ptownkid said:

It is what it is...but it's a form of survival when you look at from the inside out.

It certainly is what it is, and I know that there's a lot of divorce in life period. I am a child of divorce myself.

sahib said:
MagnetoSound said:
I wish I had allowed myself more good times and less work/study.

Good times keep you young.

Wrong.

Good times don't keep you young. There is nothing more I hate seeing than zimmer bound spastics trying to rap because they think they are having a good time. They look like bunch of d**kheads. Don't ever end up like one.

I have no idea who or what you're referring to here.

The point I was trying to make was simply that laughter and fun are more life-giving than stultifying routine, and that is what I firmly believe - that if you have fun along the way you are less likely to suffer from stress and ill-health.

If you disagree, that's fine. If you are defining 'good times' as something else, then you need to make that clear, and not just tell me I'm wrong.

Of course all of these are superseeded by having a multi-millionaire father who can bankroll you all of your life. But as we all know that is very rare.

That's cheating.

MagnetoSound said:
sahib said:
MagnetoSound said:
I wish I had allowed myself more good times and less work/study.

Good times keep you young.

Wrong.

Good times don't keep you young. There is nothing more I hate seeing than zimmer bound spastics trying to rap because they think they are having a good time. They look like bunch of d**kheads. Don't ever end up like one.

I have no idea who or what you're referring to here.

The point I was trying to make was simply that laughter and fun are more life-giving than stultifying routine, and that is what I firmly believe - that if you have fun along the way you are less likely to suffer from stress and ill-health.

If you disagree, that's fine. If you are defining 'good times' as something else, then you need to make that clear, and not just tell me I'm wrong.

Huh!

I've given away with that warble that I am indeed having a mid-life crisis. ;D

I should have paid more attention to what you said. Work and study can also be un-enjoyable and what worked for me does not necessarily mean that it works for others.

We're cool.

sahib said:
Work and study can also be un-enjoyable and what worked for me does not necessarily mean that it works for others.

Hey, don't get me wrong, I enjoy my work!

Perhaps I just sometimes feel like I grew up too fast, I dunno ...

Anyway, we're good - and sorry if my meaning wasn't clear before.  8)

I'm really digging being a dad of a 4-year-old. Enormous challenges and frustrations, but terrific happiness as well. Our 2nd is due this August, and my life is sure to disappear for a while.

It's tough, because I had many years of making albums with bands and playing tons of shows. But I still have an organ trio, we are playing local gigs, I released an album in late 2007, and things are moving along. I don't mind the extra giving involved in child-rearing, but just wish I had more time for myself. Always a balancing act.

MagnetoSound,

No probs. We are just having a good time here. After all it is a mid-life crisis. 8)

Underthebigtree,

Since our son arrived my whole life has become around his. But there are advantages. When he was a toddler I used to keep him away from my guitar with right hand while playing with left. As a result my left hand technique developed pretty well. Now I have to be ultra efficient with my time in the office before I pick him up from the school at 3:00 PM. After that it is an impossibility to work. Constant harrasment of look at me, I want this, look at me again and I want this too. But still good to be middle aged. 8)

analag said:
Now that it's been established that most of us on here is a bunch of old farts or farts that's getting old...how have dealt (those of us who have) and how are dealing (those of us who are) with the above title.

I bought a roadster. The sports-car-as-midlife-crisis is a cliche, but it's a good one :)

Oh yeah, I also had a kid. He turns one year old on Saturday. THAT'S a lifechanger. and in a good way!

-a

PS: I still have the roadster. It'll be supplemented by a Honda Element.

Me and my son (teenager) is gonna drop an 03 engine and gearbox into an 02 Maxima SE 6spd. Next month after I finish prepping the thing. Maybe I'll let him have it next year.

I'm going through a crisis right now trying to get a good job.

Man the interview process can be tough...

Latest posts

Back