What plug-ins do you guys like?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kato

I finally started recording in the DAW and although my previous experiences (in the 90's) were crashy and maddening, I'm having a blast this time 'round. MIDI works better thru USB than silly ancient interface. Latency is down to nearly nothing. Fun! (I'm using Logic 7.)

I'm pretty set on investing in AutoTune (don't shoot me.) Any other things I should look into? I don't plan to buy more than one or two plug-ins max since Logic has pretty good reverb and EQ built in. I'm doing mostly straight ahead rock and some folk. Anything you're finding essential?

check out the massey plugs. they are awesome.
free full version demos but when you re-open a session it doesnt keep settings within the plug. no worries.

the 2007 limiter is sick. and the tapeHead one is great too.

the SIR verbs are supposedly great. and i used Altiverb for a while and it was really nice as well.

check out the URS plugins some nice modeling of SS L and N eve stuff.

not a fan of waves, so never used their plugs, hear alot of mixed reviews.

Lotsa freeware and shareware out there.  Check out the Stillwell stuff.  It's good and cheap.  The interfaces are annoying to me though, all vintage bling look and no real useful metering or control gradations.  I still use it often. 

The Logic stuff is pretty top shelf in my opinion (for plug-ins)...I hear a big difference with the UAD stuff though...I have not regretted any UAD purchases, we have several machines set up in both shops and use them a lot...the Sonitus stuff is quite usable, we rely on Sonar for our main daw and they have some top notch stuff in Sonar 8 thats 64 bit bow to stern...

If someone were to hold a gun to my head and make me recite my favourite plugs I would say:

1) Waves Platinum: yes Waves is the most horrible company on earth and treats it's own customers like criminals- but some of their plugs such as the L1, L2, and IR Reverb will one day become industry standards in as much as an 1176 or a Pultec is.  The list of world famous producers who maintain they cant operate a day without them says enough of itself, regardless of the fact that mortals like us are horrified and angered by the companies operations.

2) If you use pro tools: Massey - awesome and cheap.

3) URS EQ's: modeled on neve, api and ssl are pretty cool.

4) Melodyne is worth every penny and a lot more flexible than autotune. _ ie you can create harmonies etc out of it.

I worry when I go on too much about plug ins - they distract me from my more loved past time - hardware!....and building it:)

kato said:
I finally started recording in the DAW and although my previous experiences (in the 90's) were crashy and maddening, I'm having a blast this time 'round. MIDI works better thru USB than silly ancient interface. Latency is down to nearly nothing. Fun! (I'm using Logic 7.)

I'm pretty set on investing in AutoTune (don't shoot me.) Any other things I should look into? I don't plan to buy more than one or two plug-ins max since Logic has pretty good reverb and EQ built in. I'm doing mostly straight ahead rock and some folk. Anything you're finding essential?

Well I don't use Logic but one thing I find when mixing digital is the lack of distortion/ harmonics. I use the Cranesong Phoinix in Pro Tools but I'm sure there is an equivilant to this elsewhere. These type of things also compress better than some digital comps also so use liberally.

To put some life and "grit" back into digital tracks "Vintage warmer"

For Eq / Comp URS and UAD are of course "The dogs bollox"

For time based fx "Soundtoys" and nothing else ( very, very tasty )

For reverb either Altiverb or IK's CSR , Arts acoustik is also nice.

For "Mad" stuff and creative fun, Ohmforce bundle and Fabfilter bundle are killer.

MM.

well,

I bought the liquid mix 2nd hand for around 250 or so. the compressors and eq's actually sound better than I hoped.

40 compressors and 20 eq's for 250... how much does a UAD plugin cost on average?

- massey plugins

- tritone plugins are nice too

-sonnox plugins are good

Soundtoys for delay, filter, pitch fx....from the makers of the Eventide H3000...These are by far the best plugins I came accross and I've tried ALL the ususal suspects...also some unusual as well...

Also, I think Logics own space designer is very good. No need to invest in an other convolution reverb. Espacially with the new Bricasti impulse responses which can be had for FREE from acousticas...

I can tell you what I hate.  Waves.  The plugins work fine.  What I hate is the SUP.  There yearly upgrade and maintenance costs.  They want at least $400 per year and I have to find a vendor who is willing to put some time in to figure out the cost.  They are the reason I do the DIY.  At least $400 in DIY I get to keep and use with out any additional fees.  :(

If I sound pissed, it's because I am. 

kml23956 said:
I can tell you what I hate.  Waves.  The plugins work fine.  What I hate is the SUP.  There yearly upgrade and maintenance costs.  They want at least $400 per year and I have to find a vendor who is willing to put some time in to figure out the cost.  They are the reason I do the DIY.  At least $400 in DIY I get to keep and use with out any additional fees.   :(

If I sound pissed, it's because I am. 

Do you know what your extra $400 a year goes into ?

Catching all those studios who have "Hooky" copies of Waves in their systems !!!

They should spend more time looking after the people who DO buy their bloody stuff  ... ggrrrrr

MM.

I wouldn't give Waves a dollar if each plug-in came with a coupon for a happy ending.  I never use cracked software, but I've considered using cracked Waves, just out of principle.

BTW, another vote here for UAD.

-Chris

"Espacially with the new Bricasti impulse responses which can be had for FREE from acousticas..." Thanks Radiance
francois

Back