What plug-ins do you guys like?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find the EMI TG plugs quite nice for compression.
http://www.chandlerlimited.com/products/plugin_tg12413.php

I'll have to check out the Soundtoys effects as pointed out by Radiance.

Cheers,

D.

who needs plug in's. I am not a big fan of most plug in's on the market. They all look good and end up sounding like poop. There a few exceptions.  I like those.

1. Altiverb
2.Melodyne (fairly step learning curve but the tuning capabilities rock)
3. um can't think of any eq or comp that I like

I use as much as possible hardware so I try to use only plug-ins that are complementary to my hardware.
Also I restricted myself to use only freeware plug-ins and the ones included in my recording softwares (ableton, samplitude, etc). This choice free me up of all the problems associated with registrations/unlock/passwords and other headaches for each plug-in.
There are so many fantastic quality plug-ins for free, you just have to find them.

chrissugar

chrissugar said:
I use as much as possible hardware so I try to use only plug-ins that are complementary to my hardware.
Also I restricted myself to use only freeware plug-ins and the ones included in my recording softwares (ableton, samplitude, etc). This choice free me up of all the problems associated with registrations/unlock/passwords and other headaches for each plug-in.
There are so many fantastic quality plug-ins for free, you just have to find them.

chrissugar

Lots of free VST's but not many decent AU plugins around ..... cheap or "free" isn't always "good" though !!

MM.

MartyMart said:
chrissugar said:
..quality plug-ins for free, you just have to find them.

chrissugar

Lots of free VST's but not many decent AU plugins around ..... cheap or "free" isn't always "good" though !!

MM.

ehem.. sorry if I'm too hostile but i'll have to repeat myself:)
free  and decent AU-plugins

kooma said:
airwindows !

Wow, I've got a lot of demos to check out now! Amazing I've only heard of a few of these: altiverb, UAD, etc. Been out of the game a long time.

I share chrissugar's mindset to keep it simple and try to get away with as few external plug-ins as possible to accomplish what I need. It's sad I have to buy an iLok just to demo URS plugins. What a hassle. They look promising but that's the kind of tangle I just don't have much patience for.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Kato,

I won;t give you specific advice on plugs because many of my favourites are Pro Tools HD only but I will say this.  Try to avoid the temptation to have many options and colours.  When I bought my HD rig to upgrade from Digi 001 I probably spent 6K on plug ins.  Over the years I've separated the good from the bad and I swear I use one eq 95% of the time, one compressor, one saturation plug, two reverbs and a few delays.  The simpler you can keep your options the more work you'll get done and the more intuitive your workflow will become. 

I could write way more about this sometime but suffice to say that I'm totally over plug ins and not because I have a huge selection of hardware.

Best of luck,
Ruairi

Might as well say I use the Massenburg EQ (with the Sony oxford for low end stuff)
The Oxford compressor
The Cranesong Phoenix
Altiverb and the Eventide SP2016
The waves delay (would rather echoboy)

- Powercore Plugs
- UAD Plugs
- Sony oxford influator and filter
- urs eq pack
- psp Audio plugin packs
- Autotune.
- Nuendo and Cubase 5 plugins, delays...etc
"Dominion" a very helpful Attack Amplitude modifier for free

Thats all i want, need.
I deleted about 200 Plugins cause they made my computer and my head busy.

When I first heard Sony Oxford EQ and Comp in person, my reaction was : "shit, mixing ITB just became nonissue". Of course YMMV.

Non PT, but very nice (and cheap), Stillwell Audio Rocket compressor.

I didn't care so much 'bout UAD stuff (but to be honest, I haven't heard new plugs that came in last year).

cheerz
urosh

Another vote the Massey plugs.  I was working on a project over the weekend and was reminded how much I love the SansAmp PSA plug!

desol said:
Yes...the sony eq in particular is very good. But not free!

Why should it be free? I consider EQ+comp to be fairly priced, regarding what they do.

If you want very good and free EQ in PC/VST domain, search for NoName EQ by Christian Budde.
Simple, low CPU load and sounds very nice.

cheerz
urosh

Soundtoys are the shit. Although I wish it would do more of the harmonizing type stuff you can get on a H3000 or on that goddamn amazing H7600/8000 - which I'm going to have to get!
UA - IBP, TD, Plate140, DimensionD, Cambridge (filters) and others get used here. Suprisingly moving away from their LA2A and 1176 emus.
Some URS but can sound a bit plastic to me. 99% of the time I just use the MIX EQs.
Sonalksis get used a lot here, I love the CQ-1, secret vocal bus weapon. Comp, Gate and EQ are nice too, Avoid their 'mastering' plugs, terrible limiter.
Sonnox reverb (I like the EQ and Dyn but can live without if I have some UA or Sonalksis stuff).
On PC the Eventide 2016 reverb is decent but the hardware is so much better... I just got one as I'm on mac where the plugin won't run except for PT.
PSP Lexicon are cool but lack some character of the originals, however Nitro is another sectret weapon of mine, seriously good sounding from filtering through to delays, waveshaping and stereo width.
I think the Waves Rcomp and Rvox do a decent job on RnB vocals.
Voxengo Elephant, Crunchessor, LF Max Punch and Voxformer are more than worth it. Elephant gets used a lot here.
Melodyne Plugin is great but I wish it would drag and drop midi out of it.
Altiverb + acousticas, SIR is great for free too.

On our PTHD rig, I like the Chandler stuff, ReVibe, Digi Reel Tape Suite and Crane Song Phoenix. Reel Tape is the same algomath as the Anamod and sounds really good for a plugin.

-T

I´m finishing a very difficult mix right now (absolutely crappy recording, not done by me of course !) and doing massive amounts of beat detective, elastic audio, melodyne, cut-copy-paste and sometimes over-compression and over-processing...i rediscovered a plugin that saved my life more than once...drumagog. Now after all the hassles, i have a decent sounding mix happening !

Massey plugs also rock. And I´m in love with the UAD plugins, which i feel (hear) are the best sounding plugins available.

Latest posts

Back