it made me laugh! fake tubes

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Really?", "Definitely. So far so good..."

Here's a question for the guy. He says that it will eliminate the need to search through thousands of tubes to find that one great tube? So I take it that you only need to try one of his to find out they are all shit?  ;D

AND AT ONLY 150USD!  They are little solid state POS's.  You can go on-line and find circuits that will do EXACTLY what this goob did.  IRFP series MOSFET's sourcing JFET's and little else.

Return of the Spicy Fetrons ??

The Mullet Man reinvents the wheel ??

rodabod said:
Emperor Tomato Ketchup said:
Grander twit?

Surely you mean twat grinder, one of my favourite metal bands of all time.

Either that or a raw dirt gent. Equally foul.

I had red ring twat, but whatever bloats one's goat. Is that really a metal band? I'd google it, but I'm scared of the results.

... but that aside ... how do they sound. And does anyone really audition hundreds of tubes? Certainly not here in Yorkshire, but we're tight bastards.

That is certainly not the name of a band. Might be the name of a Yorkshire ale though, you never know.

I've learned that for guitars, valve and solid-state just sound very different. I can't see why I'd ever want to use these devices since I'm willing to bet a pound to a penny that they do not sound exactly like valves.

Didn't Carlsbro release a line of guitar amps in the late 90's that had tube lookalikes with orange LED's inside?

This is like an ink blot test for tube lovers everywhere... ;D

What if he made a better (reliable and consistent) tube??  Anybody remember the Nuvistors?

Why do people like tubes?  Because they aren't repeatable, because they are microphonic, because they suck?
----

Coincidentally  I was at a CD party for a local musician last week, and ran into a guitar amp designer I knew from my former lifetime. One of the things I used to bug him to do when he was a junior engineer working on solid state tube emulation, was to make one super quiet.  Make it like a tube...  just better. Since this was the first time I've seen him in maybe 10 years I asked him about my old pet project. He said, yes he got it super quiet, but they made him add noise back in, because it didn't sound enough like a tube...  :eek:

I find this all amusing.

JR

audiofoolry and by extension guitarfoolry is a good business, there is a lot of money in buyer's pocket...

I've got same tube at home, there is aspirine inside

Back