Insert to balanced wireing

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radiance

What is the proper way of wireing my ssl clone to a insert (stereo jack chassis thingy) in a Mackie mixer?

I found this link but it does not cover insert cables.

On the stereo plug going into the mixer:

Tip goes to the intput of your comp.

Ring goes to the output of your comp.

Sleeve goes to both.

HTH

Yes, but what about the shield. Which side do I leave unconnected (or maybe no side at all??) and on the XLR side, which pin do I tie to shield (or maybe no pin??)

Radiance,

I always keep the shield (is tied to ground) to the sending item and cut the receiving end. It does not make that much difference what side you interupt, just remember the way you do it. Mixing 2 cables with different connected shields will bring you back at what you tried to avoid in the first place, hum.

succes Noorderbuur.

Cheers,

Tony

[quote author="radiance"]Yes, but what about the shield. Which side do I leave unconnected (or maybe no side at all??) and on the XLR side, which pin do I tie to shield (or maybe no pin??)[/quote]

Ah, your trying to use a balanced piece of eqipment with an unbalanced insert.

Hmmm...

no pun inteneded!

You need to feed the balanced input of your compressor an unbalanced line. To do this, connect the + of the send to the tip, connect the + of the return to the ring of the insertjack. The - of both can be connected to ground (shield). Shield to be cut at return, as is the - there.
Don't worry about this "mismatch", it will work and you can adjust gain for loss of level in case it's necesary.

[quote author="tony dB"]..... connect the + of the send to the tip, connect the + of the return to the ring of the insertjack....[/quote]

When you say send you mean the output and return is input (from the SSL clone) right?

Check this thread:
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=3249

Converting the unbalanced return to balanced is the only right way to do it, in my opinion, since many balanced-output devices will misbehave badly if run into an unbalanced input. This first became painfully obvious to me some time ago when I tried to use an Orban 424A compressor in an unbalanced channel insert.

Thanks Dave!

I already saw your post when you first posted it. I guess I want to fix this by means of cable only and keep your transformer thing as a last resort.
Or maybe a combination of the two? Lundahl is making these transformer XLR things so maybe I can make a insert cable with transformer inside.
The only thing is that these Lundahl xlr's are very expensive (110 euro ex. VAT) so I have to search for a alternative.

Latest posts

Back