DIY equalizer based on Studer 169 (standard and mastering)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sorry for the newbie question, but is it just a two band(hi and lo) shelf eq?

what goes between C and D? is it for a bypass switch?

Gerber files are also available if someone wants to manufacture boards "in larger scale". Gustav?

[/quote]

If Gustav would be doing it I would be in at least for two
thanks Audiox I already appreciate a lot the Neumann eq

ChrioN said:
Do you have the resistor values for the mastering version?

Yes, but some documentation work is required. At the moment I am quite busy, but maybe later.

pedroplanet said:
sorry for the newbie question, but is it just a two band(hi and lo) shelf eq?

Just high and low shelving filters, but both of them have 6 selectable frequencies.

pedroplanet said:
what goes between C and D? is it for a bypass switch?

Normally there is a wire link. But it allows to add an additional filter in the signal chain.

audiox said:
Gerber files are also available if someone wants to manufacture boards "in larger scale". Gustav?

Got em´ Theyll be ready in a few weeks.

Gustav

I have a question - namely, can somebody (that has actually listened to the unit) describe the sonic difference from this Studer circuit versus the "classic" Baxandall?

From what I saw, this (Studer) circuit could be adopted to have different Fc for boost and cut - in Hi-shelf section.

Hi Audiox,

Thanks for the home etch files!!

Have you had a chance to run the numbers for the mastering version.  Or even better, I'd love to know what formula your using to
calculate the values (I'd like to calculate 1.5db steps)
I'm sitting here playing with some stepped attenuator calculators, but am getting conflicting results.

Thanks much!!
dave

Is the second NE5532 (or other half) just used to ballance the signal.  Can I leave that out and ballance with a 1:1 output tranny?
Thanks.

Coldsnow said:
Is the second NE5532 (or other half) just used to ballance the signal.  Can I leave that out and ballance with a 1:1 output tranny?
Thanks.

Yup, that's exactly what I'm doing with mine

Back to the question above me.  On the high band should the two caps split the nf valueon the tape or each have their own. For instance, I I wanted an 8,8K would I two 11nf or two 22nf.
Thanks,

Coldsnow said:

It is not a bad idea to drive the transformer balanced (you get 6dB higher overload level). If you still want to use unbalanced connection, change R27 and R28 to 10kohm (or your eq attenuates 6dB).

thank you audiox!

I was wondering what caps do I buy

wima mks ; panasonic SMF or panasonic polypropilene...

what caps have you been using for this project?

Does anyone have panel cutout dimensions for these?
How far apart are the rotaries if mounted to the pcb?
And how much room from the outer rotaries to the edge of the pcb?

I'm thinking of putting a pair of these and a gssl in one case for the ultimate mixdown box!
Just want to know what the dimensions are I have to work with so I can make a front panel layout.

Thanks!

regularjohn said:
Does anyone have panel cutout dimensions for these?
How far apart are the rotaries if mounted to the pcb?
And how much room from the outer rotaries to the edge of the pcb?

http://audioxxx.googlepages.com/EQ_169_dimensions.pdf

I'm still learning this, so my question might seem stupid but...

Why did you use only 5 freq. positions when you have lorlin switches that can have 6 positons/frequencies? The position six on the switch could also be used as a possible sixth selected frequency, am I assuming right?

(ok... i'm shaking in the corner and expecting to be flamed for asking stupid questions... i'm a newbie, i admit it...)

Latest posts

Back