Can the Hairball 1176 push buttons handle 240 volts for power switch?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
joe-electro said:
It just occurred to me, arcing can be minimized by putting a 0.047 - 0.1 uF 600V capacitor across the switch contacts.  It helps equalize the inductive reactance from the transformer.

---Joe
Joe, is this what you mean?

d64ceba5b8.jpg

when you have high enough voltage, air starts conducting. Yes, a lightning. With too short distance between contacts, there is a remote danger of an arc (a miniature lightning) between the contacts.

That large sized switch of yours has no such problems.

[edit]

all you should really worry about is exposing all those relatively large contact areas to mains voltage. At least put something there (shrink tube) on the wiring so you don't accidentally touch it, ever.

canidoit said:
joe-electro said:
It just occurred to me, arcing can be minimized by putting a 0.047 - 0.1 uF 600V capacitor across the switch contacts.  It helps equalize the inductive reactance from the transformer.

---Joe
Joe, is this what you mean?
[start]
d64ceba5b8.jpg

[end]
Can everyone see the diagram I drew between start and end? It seems to come on and off on this post.
Is this diagram correct?

Actually, in this case the arc is caused by stored energy in the transformer seeking a discharge path when the switch breaks contacts rather than makes contacts.  When used in this way, capacitor has the same effect in an AC circuit as a diode does in a DC circuit, e.g. strapped across a relay coil.

---Joe

Kingston said:
when you have high enough voltage, air starts conducting. Yes, a lightning. With too short distance between contacts, there is a remote danger of an arc (a miniature lightning) between the contacts.

That large sized switch of yours has no such problems.

[edit]

all you should really worry about is exposing all those relatively large contact areas to mains voltage. At least put something there (shrink tube) on the wiring so you don't accidentally touch it, ever.

Latest posts

Back