Things to do in France?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Keith, :)
Your completely right about!!When I was a child ,I often see this kind of "scene",for holiday,I spend lots of time at my grandfather home,this place was a"marvellous home "near Chatellerault in "Vienne" name of the village is Pleumartin.My grandfather was a "Self made man".. ;)one of his favorite passion was spending time in nature and in his fabulous garden!a very simple thing was when it was lunch time ...all the vegetable were taking from the ground in morning ;)All was simple,the taste and meat were outstanding from little potatoes,salad of fresh tomatoes with nice "oignons" and real farm eggs all with a piece of home made "vinaigrette" I remember with lots of pleasure... ;)Time has passed, and i take care of this passion for cooking,and making some simple and nice "recette" for me,my family and friends!!when I m not working on Sunday morning me and my son we get to the "Marché" in Tours and there I bought all i need to make a "nice" lunch ,all came from very small producer near Tours,cheap prices and quality.From my Grandfather,I've got an marvellous book of "Real and Popular French cooking "This book came from 1947..... Last w.end,me and my"good friends" were at an "Apero",one of my friend came from Bosnia,and fall in love with the Wine so he's got a marvellous "Cave a vin",with some nices "goat cheeses "from St Maure de Touraine (just take a piece and put it on a warm piece of finest bread as "baguette") and take a glass of red Wine  ;D And you take a ride to "another Univers"...so we have spend time in tasting..10 differents Wines and discutting about World,work,"french politics" ;D ;D ;D and so and so....
For this time ,the seasson and weather is nice here,so we like to take time in garden for this ;)

As You see it's a pleasure for me to talk about all of this ;)

Nice time Keith!!

"a bientot",Bruno.

OT: Every time I see the title of this thread it reminds me of this movie with Andy Garcia called:
"Things to do in Denver when you're dead"....

back on topic...

Yeah...in the end everyone wants to live in "la douce France".

again OT: 

Since I just moved to France I've a question for the French people here.

Anyone familiar with this organisation called Agessa? Or better, how do you handle your taxes when you're a composer/ author?  I know I'm in a very specific situation being a foreigner who just moved to France...

radiance said:
OT: Every time I see the title of this thread it reminds me of this movie with Andy Garcia called:
"Things to do in Denver when you're dead"....

back on topic...

Yeah...in the end everyone wants to live in "la douce France".

again OT: 

Since I just moved to France I've a question for the French people here.

Anyone familiar with this organisation called Agessa? Or better, how do you handle your taxes when you're a composer/ author?  I know I'm in a very specific situation being a foreigner who just moved to France...
Hi,
Well I'm not familiar with But I know that's French's composer and author may be register to the SACEM,which is an administration ::) That's all I know.... :-\

Bruno.

Ah... I am indeed familiar with 'Vienne'... in fact it's relatively close to the farm where I too had that first revelation! -It was in that little village between Poitiers and Niort. (the house was in Pamproux, the farm was at the edge of Bougon, where the tumulus is located.)

The Market at Poitiers is another fond memory... 'Papi' (the patriarch of the farm) used to sell des escargots at the market, which naturally involved getting up LONG before sunrise to collect the 'harvest'...) and always used to say that for as long as the market was held in the square in front of the medieval church, 'la vielle Madame de Poitiers' would always be watching over them.

'Papi' finally passed away (aged ninety-something) shortly after 'Mami'... it was heartbreaking for all of us. -Before that, he'd still been rising long before the sun, and working in his garden as if he were my age!

-The local 'Patois', I remember parts of that too. -It was surprising in that several words bore evidence of English influence! "potato" was "patate" instead of the French "pomme de terre", and the 'R' sound was always pronounced as a slightly rolled "English" or "scottish" R from the front tip of the tongue, instead of the usual 'guttural' R from the rear flat of the tongue...

Those days were sunnier, and the summers were longer and almost unbearably happy for me... (sigh!)

Oh, I wish I could be there right now!!!

...mind you... French visitors to the US sometimes have unforgettable vacations, too! ;)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090625/ap_on_re_us/us_harrowing_chase

-Keith

Hello Guys,

sorry i've been absent from this post i started!  Just finished up work this week and finally got a second to post (in between packing)

Thanks for the posts - i'm learning a fair bit!

i'm wondering whether to travel the south (paris to annecy - grenoble - nice - grass - aix - montpellier)
by car or train?

what might the pros and cons be?

so far i guessed:
CAR

pro:
cheap between two people (30euro per day)
go anywhere

cons:
petrol - not too bad (10 euro per  100ks)
tolls - ? roughly (10 euro per 100ks)
parking - in nice....?
maybe no scenery?
i'm used to driving on the left side of road

TRAIN

pro:
sit back
nice view

cons:
expensive - trip - paris to nice - 260 euro for 2..
but probably same as car?
have extra luggage - costs heaps to add to fare...

what are your thoughts guys?

I usually drive... but then I love to drive.

The TGV is fast, convenient and pleasant way to travel. -You can relax, but you also don't make the same 'discoveries' which can surprise and delight... (and occasionally frustrate!) which you do in a car... and eating offers less options...

Oh... speaking of driving, here's some footage of me leaving Roissy (Charles DeGaulle airport) last time I was there...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVaNBrYLvFg

...and going for a spin just outside Nice...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d4ej1RPkEI

;)

Keith

You are absolutely the best "non-french-but-lovingly-speaking-of-France" person that I have ever heard from

I second that it was a real pleasure to read you Keith.

@radiance:

Agessa is pretty usefull, since I'm composer I use it when I need to be paid, from tv or commercial agency, for my work.
it's pretty simple, you have a paper (or you can do it online but you need to phone them first) to fill with the amout you will be paid and you need to cut off the taxes.
http://www.agessa.org/telechargement/ficTelecharge_1/diffuseurs/BordereauDeclaratifcouleur.pdf
there are 3 taxes:
- social assurances: 0,85% of your salary
- social contribution (CSG): 7,50%  of 97% of your salary
- social debt  :eek: (CRDS): 0,50% of 97% of your salary
http://www.agessa.org/getpage_Tableau-des-cotisations-dues-par-l-auteur_29,40,28,,.html

so your employer need to give you a first number (salary) who is without taxes (HT - Hors taxe)
say, 2000€ HT then you need to do the maths above to have your real salary.
so you will have something like 1800€ for you.
send the paper to Agessa and the employer will send the 200€ to Agessa.

a good thing (must check that), when you will go back to your country you can have your taxes back. ;)

sorry if it comes a little bit late but I haven't seen your post...hope this help...
Pm me if you need help.
Cheers.
Jr.

Sorry for the OT again..

Thanks Jr.

I'm a little further with my research now and it seems I have to be in France for at least 1 year before I can join the Agessa. That is, they want to see that I payed my taxes in France before I can join.
Where to pay my social taxes during that year..?? I don't know. It seems like I'll pay that in 1 go when I join the Agessa next year. I'll need to save some money for this as it can be quite a lot as I've understand.

As for the example you gave...this is only when you're dealing with people/businesses within France.
I only do business with companies outside of France (so far), and AFAIK they don't pay the TAX part directly to the Agessa.

no problemo!

I didn't know that it was different for foreigner.
yes it's more complicated if you work for company outside of France...
if you need to pay in one go, keep in mind that it's something like 20% of the amount, less I think since you don't have to pay for unemployement (but better safe than sorry).

don't hesitate to pm me if you need more infos, I can ask for you if you don't speak well french.

cheers
Jr.

France has a lot to offer (I live 20 minutes away by car) but just watch out for those rude knights!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8yjNbcKkNY

You all forgot the most important thing to do in France.
bring home a biscuit tin full of French BANGERS :D (fire crackers)

I'm going to paris within few weeks and this topic had a lot of nice info on it:)
I was wondering is there a blog or guide for music/club events that i can search by date&genre etc?

thanks, i'm more into electronic/hiphop etc
but still those NUIT BLANCHE-TRIBUTE TO JAMES BROWN
and that Herbie Hancock-set sure looks interesting..

kooma said:
I'm going to paris within few weeks and this topic had a lot of nice info on it:)
I was wondering is there a blog or guide for music/club events that i can search by date&genre etc?
Unfortunately not. I recommend you buy Pariscope, some kind of a french Time out, and check the concert sections.

Back