Things to do in France?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By coincidence, yesterday I indulged my hunger for French treats, and made a 180kM round-trip drive to a French boulangerie/patisserie in New Smyrna Beach for lunch...

I brought back a selection of pastries etc. to share with the interns in our film mixing stage -one of whom is French, which is what sparked the longing. I also brought back a couple of treats to share with my wife, as well as a 'batard' loaf.

REAL French bread is truly something! -This loaf was better than I expected, and did indeed have that wispy, fluffy-light interior, with a crisp, crackly crusty exterior. -A little jambon de campagne and some PROPER Dijon mustard (FORGET 'grey poupon' in the USA; over-rated, excessively-vinegary rubbish... I bought some 'Maille' imported French mustard, since the supermarket imported variety -even the 'Maille'- is a different recipe, to suit American Pallettes, with a higher vinegar content... -WHY ON EARTH do they do that???) and you have a simple yet satisfying meal. An explosion of flavour, without needing to be 'exotic'.

The cakes and pastries were equally lovely, and I briefly considered buying a selection of goats-cheeses, but I'd already spent enough, and I'm on a diet at the moment...

Ah yes... I do love France, and the food in particular!

Keith

hmmm..i got hungry allready:)

without getting too political,
I'm a bit scared that if those pension reform strikes will continue for weeks,
and if that affects airports etc.

I've just moved to France, Antibes, and I wanted to say hello to all French prodigy pro users :)
Anybody lives nearby?

I have to take my wife to France someday.  These post are taking me away from the problems of the day.  Ever since that post this year about "La Frette Studios" ,  I have been dreaming of France.  (I think I have repaired almost everything at one time in my life thats in  that studio)

SSL Tech you lucky dog.  Before I die I have to see France. 

signed "sheltered life"

I've just moved to France, Antibes
Welcome to France, michal_k,  I would love to live near you, on the sunny coast  :)

To fazer :
Ever since that post this year about "La Frette Studios"
Can you send me the link to the post about " La Frette Studios " ?  ( I spent a few days there recently to fix their Studer J37 )

Cheers,
Guy

guy_4
In a Search, paste the Title below and you will get to the forum post.

Neve 'A646 Barclay' console pictures

Follow links on this page. It will take you to links and pictures of the studio:

What a stunning place.  The pictures create a great feeling about this place.

Hi fazer,
Thanks for the tip, but it seems the pics do not show up now... (I know the place and don't need pics)
What I wanted was to read what people wrote about La Frette.
It is a nice place, with some rare stuff, and an " ambience "...
Cheers,
Guy

Hi guy_4      That post was about pictures taken by a gentleman (of the Studio).  I then went to this link below which brings a view up of the studio and a Feist video of "1,2,3,4" and I fell in love with the place. 

http://www.faces.fr/affichage.php?page=accueil 

Glad to hear your working on Studers for them.  When I got out of collage (long time ago), I got a job in a studio with an 8036 neve and an A80 24 and 2 track Studer and lots of the same gear that is in Le Frette.  I took care of the gear and then learned to Engineer and Produce.  I saw the pictures of Le Frette and had a fantasy island experience.  The more I looked, the more I saw France and thinking about the beautiful country. 

Nice to talk to a person that does do tech work for the studio. 
Thanks for the chat.
Michael

Hi all.
Such a nice thread about our country... Makes me feel proud of my culture! That's a great feeling!

I would just add some places to visit: the east of the country not well known but worth to go there.

I'm living near Besancon in a region called 'Franche-Comte' near the border of Switzerland and Germany. There are some amazing landscapes and places near (Department of Doubs,Jura, Haute Saone and Territoire de Belfort) especially if you love NATURE and fishing...

This is the autumn right here and the trees are really beautiful with many yellow/brown/Red colours in big forest, with rocky landscape and 'moyenne montagne' places which gave inspiration for some great painters like Gustave COURBET (do visit 'le haut doubs' and 'la valee de la Loue')...Autumn is definitely one of the period of year i prefer in this place... with spring when Nature explode of life.

We've got many good things do eat too: cheese from 'COMTE' to 'MORBIER' and 'MONT D'OR' (to name a few... many many more to list!) and wine with JURA 's wine 'Vin jaune', 'vin de paille' and 'Savagnin'... We are near Bourgogne too with GREAT red Wine 'Mercurey', 'Romane Conti', 'Vosne Romane', 'Pommerole' and other treasure... differents from Bordeaux red wines but quality wise equal or sometimes better (depends of tatse but with food generally i prefer Bourgogne especially with cheese!) ;D

And some great jambon (jambon de Luxeuil) and sausages ( Saucisses de Morteau and saucisses de Montbeliard)...

Many architectural of great interest too with 'Citadelle de Besancon' (UNESCO registred as 'patrimoine mondial de l'humanite') and 'fort de Belfort' some of VAUBAN 's works (one of our  great military architect from the past) .

Not many tourist and if you want to be peacefull and quiet it's a great place...

Well...

That post was about pictures taken by a gentleman (of the Studio).

Fazer: not exactly. We were at 'La Frette' for a visit of the studio in last may. The crew of the studio had some days without booking and let us have a day with them... And what a day!!! Apart from beeing some GREAT guys (thanks to Olivier, Lionel and Nicolas!) the place is marvelous and the studio really stand different  from what i've seen in Paris and France in general. A special place definitely!
Pictures was taken by one of the visitor nicknamed Kokoa.  ;)

What I wanted was to read what people wrote about La Frette.

Salut Guy_4. Si tu veux avoir des commentaires et acces aux photos il faut etre enregistre sur le forum d'Audioaddict. Rejoins nous  je suis sur que tu y trouveras ton compte! C'est un endroit plein de gens interessants et amicaux ou des pro et des amateurs eclaires partagent leur connaissance dans un bon esprit! Dans l'attente de t'y lire...  ;)

Translation:
Hi Guy_4. If you want to have access to talks and pictures you need to be registered on Audioaddict forum's. Join us you won't be disappointed! It's a place with friendly and interesting peoples pro and amateurs shares they're knowledge with 'good mind'! Wait to read you there...

SSLtech said:
I bought some 'Maille' imported French mustard, since the supermarket imported variety -even the 'Maille'- is a different recipe, to suit American Pallettes, with a higher vinegar content... -WHY ON EARTH do they do that???)
Unfortunately, the Maille/Amora business is now part of the Unilever group. About a year ago, they decided to transfer most of the production to Poland and the Czech republic... Dijon is a trade mark, not an AOC :'(

Damn... i just opened my last glass of French 'Maille' which I'd been storing for about a year. -I had no idea that it was 'vintage'!  ;D

I also opened (for comparison) a US bottle. -They're very different. -I'm hoping that with the move, they don't worsen the US-bound production stuff any more.

last weekend I discovered a lady from Alsace has opened a boulangerie/Patisserie about 3 miles away from my house. the bread is not up to full production, but the pear tart (with which I ruined my diet for the weekend!) was most agreeable. We chatted for a while, and she tolerated my halting French (I'm so rusty; I keep stumbling for vocabulary which would be much more readily available if I got the chance to speak more often) very kindly. She and her husband had run a couple of restaurants in Alsace before moving to the US.

I shall send as many people her way as I can. -lovely food!

Keith

Back