new guy DIY enthusiast be nice point me to diy school please

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brendley

Hi

Been producing records for 22 years..across all forms of gear and their uses. Would like to see if I have what it takes to build some gear ect . Gyraff 1176.  I own a soldering iron , have soldered guitar leads...Please tell me what to read, equiptment to buy steps i should take. It would be greatly apprecciatted. CAN I DO THIS?...

all help truly apprecciatted.

I did a search and thought it might be easier to ask..

Help a rock n roller out please all..

thanks

BA

Hey Brendley,
welcome to the forum! about a year ago I was exactly at the same stage, having soldered a few leads, maybe a patchbay. my path here was via guitar pedals, I needed a re-amp box that I couldn't afford to buy, so I found a schematic online. This worked so well that I ended up building a few more pedals, and eventually got interested in the theory, bought electronic books etc.

For me it is always about the balance, I can only take so much theory, before I absolutely MUST have another self-built toy to play with, so I am trying to learn as much as possible about the projects while I am building them.

Basically, check out the meta's at the top of the lab board, and maybe have a look at the (still very fresh, but growing) wiki pages:http://wiki.nimbleswitch.com/Main_Page

One last word of advice:
The advantage of guitar pedals is that the worst you can do is send 9 Volts into your guitar/your amp/your body all of which should be able to survive this.
The projects on here all involve mains voltage, so a lot more caution is advised.

Good luck!

From my experience with the Mnats 1176 Rev D so far that you may find useful.

Buy alot of certain transistors that require to be matched or reach a certain hfe. I'm not talking 10-20, Im talking somewhere in the hundreds since Mouser seems to be the only place to source decent versions of these transistors and the hfe reading on these is hard to get above 250.

Get a decent multimeter with hfe reading.

Be careful of abundance in shipping costs, it tallies up when you have to keep having to re-order parts so try to order in one go.

DIY is not going to be cheap and very time costly and can get frustrating.

Regarding the BOM, re-check the parts list, because some of it has dead links or parts options. I have an Exell sheet for the Mnats 1176 Rev D if you want a copy. I haven't refined it fully, but maybe you may find it useful. It has markings, notes, tables, links etc, trying to make it useful for printing and progress and it can be edited.

Check the attack pot in the BOM list, make sure it has SPDT if you want that GR off function on the attack pot.

Purushas case for the 1176 has a back inside plate that may make it tight for the pots and may require for you to sand it down or make a cut out. Mine was a tight squeeze when I removed the washers from the pot, but it fits now. The IEC hole requires an IEC with fuse preferably the snap on type (though a little lose fit but still covers it enough) and not screw type for a better fit. The pots in the current BOM are a little small for Purusha's 1176 case.

Purusha's case does not come with any documents, nuts, washers for the mounts in the inside plate that holds the push buttons.

Get your nuts, bolts, screws, washers, etc from a dedicated nuts and bolts store. From my experience, they are the most cheapest places to get these parts specially at small bulk or singles. Do not buy them from electronics or hardware stores. The mark up is ridiculous! Get washers, lock washers, spring washers, nuts, lock nuts and bolts in sets and they work out very cheap at these places.

Do a run down of all the nuts, bolts, washers, you plan to use. This includes XLR ins and outs nuts/bolt/washers sets, also washers for the inside plate on Purusha's 1176 case. Also washers for the spacers to hold the PCBs, nuts/bolts/washers for the Xformers, Cable ties/clips/mounts nuts/bolt set (I bolt mine).

Invest in a small engraver with different attachments. See the little lip on the pots that prevent the pot from moving when you mount it. You need to dig a little hole for that so that the pot does not move when secured. One way is to use a broken drill bit of the same size as the little lip and adjust the depth the drill bit is porturding from the drill according to the lip depth and drill a hole for it. I use a combination of drilling a hole and then finishing it off with the engraver so that it does not go thru all the way of the front face of the case. If you have a Drill press, it would be better....  8)

Check measurements of parts in the BOM list. Some of the caps are too big and creative installations on the PC board if you get those sizes.

Mnats Transformer board requires links if you are using altran transformers. The ABCDEF is located on top of the board underneath where the Altran Xformer goes, so links up first before installing the Xformer.

Resistor Bend tool is very useful, makes things more productive. Recommended must have or make your own.

Alot of the information is scattered in various threads. They have an "all in one thread" which I have my own opinion about this system, it's where you will find the information scattered. Some goes from 40 + to 100+ pages. Some information you have to source from different threads. eg. G1176, Rev D, Rev A, etc. threads which can be a little confusing or overwhelming.

To search inside one thread, requires you to print and use the browser find function to search for what you are after.

The bottom next and previous button takes you to the next thread and not the next page.

When sending a private message and the person replies, you have no idea what they are replying to because the forum does not keep the sent messages unless you save your sent message into your outbox. Your messages box can get full rather quickly. You have limitted message capacity here and it is best to use email.

Check out Drips format for his builds http://dripelectronics.com. His DIY is more beginners friendly format but it's mostly Tube gear he works with. La2a, 175b, etc.

Check out some of my "newbie" forum questions, maybe theres something there useful. Feel free to email me if you like and I will send you some info and links I already went thru in this process of DIY.

We were all newbies at some point, so.....

Start here: http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=6887

Don't expect to understand much of it right away, but always go back to it.

Then I would suggest building the GSSL. Why?

1. It is a pretty simple build.
2. There is a TON of reading to do on it in the main SSL help thread.
3. It sounds great and it will be useful to you forever.

As for tools, I would just skip the regular radioshack style soldering iron and go for a soldering station like a Weller or Hakko. It'll make things much easier on you. A good set of wire strippers and cutters would be good. Solder that is not to thick and bulky helps avoid bridging parts together with solder on pins that are close together. I think I use a rosin core size .032 solder.

And most of all, just use the forum search and read, read, read. Did I mention to use the search? Yeah, do that.

Matt

Welcome Brendley. Here is a good little build reference to start. Radiance's GSSL.
This is a good little smash box to start with.  http://gssl.rolandklinkenberg.com/

If you want to build something, you have to read and resist your temptation to ask until your absolutely blue in the face and ready to throw your project out the window. Then you can ask... :)

Go here to Meta: http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=16013.0

This is where you will find helpful topics and questions from others who have built the same unit as you.
If you are in a certain thread..say...'GSSL help thread', you can click print at the top of the thread...and then try to search your topic that way...instead of searching through all 100 million pages.

Read read read read...and read some more. Search search search and search some more. Learn to help yourself first. Google, Meta, whatever. You can find boards to purchase from nice folks in the white market and BOM's(bill of materials-parts) to help you get started. You have to learn to order parts from digikey and mouser.
You have to learn to get your power supply and transformer together...and learn to do the metal work on your case. That's about all i can think to write for now..

D.

GUys thanks so much for your replies...i thankyou for your assistance..It turns out fucanay and i know eachother anyway...

so all i ask then is for more prods on suggested areas for me to start all this reading..is there any reference books texts ect to give me a basic knowlegde of electronics basics ie resistor values, what a cap is ect ect..you no electronics  101

all help apprecciatted.

i promise i will read read read..and only ask if i am stuck so thanks

Ba

brendley said:
so all i ask then is for more prods on suggested areas for me to start all this reading..is there any reference books texts ect to give me a basic knowlegde of electronics basics ie resistor values, what a cap is ect ect..you no electronics  101

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/

Mike

If your gonna do the projects you find here first read all of the safety info you can find. 

Then jump in!  Over time you'll acrue a tool collection but for starters you'll need a DMM, GOOD soldering iron(not a melting tip radio shack POS), and some basic hand tools.    The theory will make more sense as you complete projects.  But the Safety info is mandatory. 

In the Lab click on the 2nd thread called META-meta; look here for overview. 

Have fun...Be safe!

Will

some, more advanced,may snicker at my suggestions but they start at the very basics and are not "dry,dry,dry"at all.
Electronics for Dummies,Wiley
Getting Started in Electronics , Forest Mimm
Check your E-mail. I'll send you somethingh to start you off.
OK just saw your e-mail is not available. mine is. if you want a good introduction to electronics i have a good PDF. just email me
  seavote

Latest posts

Back