CBS labs, Audimax III - automatic level control

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pixeltarian

I just found a "CBS laboratories Audimax III - automatic level control" in the dumpster. any info on this thing that anyone is aware of would be greatly appreciated. anything cool I can do with this sucker?

for those interested, here's the schematics:
http://www.waltzingbear.com/Schematics/CBS/Audimax_444.htm

I used one of those a few years ago on drums for a really trashy sound, sort of like "bringing it all back home" or "apples in stereo".  At the studio we had all kinds of fancy stuff at our disposal but went with that.  I think they were made as broadcast compressors/limiters in the 70's.  Does yours have knobs, or just the pots you adjust with a screw driver? 

The black wire from a power cord should go to the fuse.

Awesome dumpster find! 

cool! thanks. it's got screw driver pots. no big deal though. I think I'll just find a sweet spot and hook it up to an output for a quick "see what happens" sorta thing.

one problem though - both wires are black...  I just need to know which ones goes to the bigger prong. colors won't help me.

I've got an Audimax and a Volumax, never hooked them up  ;D - I should really try them out in the next time. Mine came from a broadcast station, also with screws to adjust the settings. Meters are nice though...

cheers
christoph

Those are super cool - I own several. The pots are usually scratchy. I open them up and spray with
DeOxit. The Audimax is a leveler that would send to a Volumax limiter just before the transmitter.
I find the sound very pleasing, not trashy at all. I also have a tube Audimax l, and I actually prefer
the sound of the transistor ones (ducking)javascript:void(0);. If you listened to the radio in the late 60s
and early 70s, you heard these things. I love them on everything, even 2mix. If you do a search on the
patent numbers on the back, you can find some very interesting theory from the guys who designed it.

The two prongs on the power cord on my volumax are the same size... 
So, I opened it up and traced from the fuse to the plug.  If you hold the plug so the prongs are pointing at your face, with the ground on the bottom, the prong on the left connects to the fuse.

Necro thread resurrection....Any specific modifications for these things for studio use?

Latest posts

Back