Building a real plate reverb - Drawings

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quintosardo

Hi all,
I wrote this post on kvr and a user there (dfer) suggested it would be appreciated here, so here it is.

I've built this one:

Plate%20002_L150.jpg

Plate%20002_L800.jpg

I started from the drawings on platereverb.com but I had to:

- translate, modify and complete the drawings on autocad
- choose the components

Now I've these acad drawings available, I'll be happy to send them and discuss details with anybody interested in building one. Just send an email to my address.

Now I'm working on details, tuning.
I hope to get some sound examples and impulse responses for convolution plugins very soon.

Quinto

jensenmann said:
Are driver and PUs from Cunningham or did you DIY these, too?

I bought the driver through Ebay. One of those "ghost" speakers, works nice. I'll look for the exact name.

For driving it I used the amp inside one of those speakers pairs for desktop.

Pickups are piezo for guitar (two mono) from Schaller

Very nice job  ;) indeed! Did you exactly copy the original EMT140? Do your suspensions meet the original specs? i'd be interested to build a full tubed one  ;D Pierre

Ciao Pierre,
I started from those drawings on platereverb.com, but I designed the frame starting from the plate size I could find on the local market.
So, being my plate 1x2m exactly, I placed the screws and the holes for that size. This is what is contained in my acad file, but they can easily be adapted to the plate you find.
I suggest to keep the plate as is, don't cut it!

So:
1) look for a plate (I started with this zinc plated one)
2) adapt the drawings to the plate (so that the screws are exactly vertical or horizontal)

A tube version would be very nice. And you could use the tube amp for other uses, too.
I started with this very fast and cheap version, using a small amp from a couple of desktop speakers.
Pickups are piezo, so the output is very high (line level from passive pickups).

A critical point is the equalisation. I'm testing the plate with an analog five bands parametric eq from adt-audio, setting it as "cutting lows". Still a lot to test for me, here.
About suspensions: No, I didn't copy the original. I started with springs but that is the wrong way.
I removed the springs and let those screws you see in the photo.

Here's mine that I shelved back in February after I built the damping plate frame but before I painted the frame and overstretched the plate:

plate2mc3.jpg

plate3zd8.jpg

plate4sc3.jpg

Quinto

Your plate looks great! You've re-inspired me!

Did you tension it yet? What size is your plate and what material did you use it? Do you have detailed pics of the plate corners and their attachments to the frame?

Chris

Ciao fazeca!

I've seen already your reverb, even those snapshot after cracking the plate! Yes, you went too heavy with the screws! :)

I don't have more photos, but I can send you the drawings with all the details.

Just send an email, so that I can respond with the attachment.

I've used zinc coated plate, 1x2meters exactly. Yes, I did tension it, but still I'm not able to say if it sounds the best. Working on this.
But I was really satisfied with angles and plate. I was able to crack the rings but plate and corners are still intact ;)

Come on, try again!!!

I can't wait to mix the first song with this one on voice :)

Hey fazeka , did you have trouble with tension on the plate ?
I wonder if the L bracket would not distribute even tension
just a thought .
Where did you source your plate material ?
g

Hi gevermil,

Yeah, I think you reminded me about my tensioning design on the TapeOp boards. So yeah, I think you're right. I am kinda in a holding pattern right now with that plate reverb project because my interests shifted towards 1176 rev. Ds and LA-2As and TG limiters... but as I am getting re-inspired here with Quinto's plate, I think I need to get some yokes or clevises (clevii?) for my second attempt on tensioning. Obviously I need to get another plate as the old one is NFG. I'm no metallurgist, but I'm thinking because that plate was stainless it may have been too "hard" for the application or too difficult to tension.

I sourced my plate material locally from a sheet metal contractor. The specifics I don't remember offhand but are available in the plate reverb topic on the TapeOp forums...

Chris

Cool , always a nagging fantasy for me .
Dont get me wrong , Im not criticizing anything . Im just marveling at your plate reverb
and , as always , your awsome M56 1" . ;D

Hi Gevermil,

No offense taken, I just need to refine my tensioning design.

I learned a lot in the process so far.

Thanks for the compliment on the M56. It may not be the smoothest when it comes to tape handling and it is difficult to get parts for it and there are not a lot of people left that specialize in 3M and tape is expensive but it is a great sounding machine.  ;D

Back