Resistor continuity test?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luis

My 4 39r resistors pass the continuity test, but the others resistors with bigger values dont.
is this caused by the resistor values?

thanks

luis said:
My 4 39r resistors pass the continuity test, but the others resistors with bigger values dont.
is this caused by the resistor values?

thanks

Yes.  Depending on the sensitivity of your meter when checking for continuity (using the beeper), which, for all intents and purposes, means no or very little resistance, you'll get low values resistors that will trigger the continuity alarm.  These low-value resistors should also show their rated resistance as well and not measure 0 ohms.  As you get past the continuity threshold of your meter, the beeper won't go off and you'll see the measured resistance value. 

While I'm no expert on meters, one that measures 39R as having continuity seems a bit on the more inexpensive end of the scale.

Cheers,
--
Don

Does your meter have multiple ranges? like 50,150,1000,5000,ETC...
Make sure your on the correct range for what you think you have or, buy a DMM that auto ranges.

Kaz

My DMM sucks! Ranges?? c´mon it cost 5 dollars ;D

By the way wat models are good for the money? I know fluke are good but they are too much for my needs.

Thank you

kazper said:
Does your meter have multiple ranges? like 50,150,1000,5000,ETC...
Make sure your on the correct range for what you think you have or, buy a DMM that auto ranges.

Kaz

> Ranges?? c´mon it cost 5 dollars

You can buy a fine meter for $5 now.

It is probably "auto-ranging". It automatically selects a range to display the value.

The "Continuity" test is for electricians. Not electronic technicians. In wires, switches, lamps, and connectors, you either have "very low" resistance (through a wire), or "very high" resistance (between two disconnected wires). If you don't know if two ends are "connected", the Continuity test gives a quick yes/no answer.

BUT in electronics, we have a LOT of "medium" connections. Resistors. They are not "very low" or "very high" resistance. We don't use the Continuity test to read resistors, we use the Ohms function and look at the number.

Back