G7 transformer options

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riggler

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone has built a G7 with a Jensen transformer? Looking for something with character. Maybe a Sowter?

Anyway the Lundahls seem too nice and hi-fi. I'd like to get a little more color / iron love.
Thanks!

I am going to bump this really old topic here... Because I am about to build one and want to know if anyone has used the Sowter 9995 on this circuit, and if so how does it sound?

-Grant

What you need to know about is the inductance and ratio and voltage isolation between windings(safety) of the transformer then all the other things that matter as well like lam type and winding and...

There are a few things going on at plate to transformer section of a microphone.  The best way to know is to try it and see because of all the interactions you can have with a DIY build of a microphone like a G7 due to the part selected by the builder.

I have tried a few different transformers in tube and transistor builds and IMO the only way to know is to build and test and take notes.

Makes sense... Costly, but it makes sense. I e-mailed Sowter a while back and they said they thought it should be fine. I guess  the transformer I listed can be used in many tube mics, including mics with EC92, EF86, and VF14 tubes...

http://www.sowter.co.uk/specs/9995.htm

I really like sowter transformers, so I think I am going to go with it and see how it sounds... if something seems funky I will change it out. However I plan on making about 5 mics total... 3 G7's.... One with a K47 capsule by Beeskneez, and two C12 capsules (haven't made a decision yet). Then the other two are just going to be mods of existing cheap chinese mics with 67 capsules, and probably different transformers.

-Grant

Sowter do a mic input model with taps for 1:3, 1:5 and 1:7 or something like that which sounds very good with the G7 circuit.

Back