Improve your GSSL... for free!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks man! i was wondering where were u hehe havent seen many posts from your behalf lately!
greetings man i hope u are well

Just to make sure I don't mess something up what I try this, in summary, I need to:
1.  Reverse the wires going from A(pole) to A2
2.  Connect A1 to a ground, most easily C1

Is this correct?

Thanks
Craig

craigmorris74 said:
Just to make sure I don't mess something up what I try this, in summary, I need to:
1.  Reverse the wires going from A(pole) to A2
2.  Connect A1 to a ground, most easily C1

Is this correct?

Thanks
Craig

If you meant
1.  Reverse the two wires going from A AND (not to) A2,
2.  Connect A1 to ground, most easily C1

then yes, that's all! :)

I came across this PDF: http://www.hausverwaltung-heger.de/al_leck_trick/ssl_mod.pdf which supposedly adds a LED to the bypass using only a DPDT toggle switch. I tried to figure out how this works myself but I don't understand the mod, also because it looks like the bypass wires to the front panel board seem to be omitted completely. Can anyone shed some light on it? I already found that some of the suggested points to attach the wires to the PCB can be done easier by using the holes for the 202 VCA's.

Basically what I want to achieve is a DPDT bypass switch that lights a LED when the bypass is NOT active. Preferrably without adding a relay to the equation.

Thanks,  Alex.

NorthernLight said:
I came across this PDF: http://www.hausverwaltung-heger.de/al_leck_trick/ssl_mod.pdf which supposedly adds a LED to the bypass using only a DPDT toggle switch. I tried to figure out how this works myself but I don't understand the mod, also because it looks like the bypass wires to the front panel board seem to be omitted completely. Can anyone shed some light on it? I already found that some of the suggested points to attach the wires to the PCB can be done easier by using the holes for the 202 VCA's.

Basically what I want to achieve is a DPDT bypass switch that lights a LED when the bypass is NOT active. Preferrably without adding a relay to the equation.
Right side of the DPDT toggle forces the audio-VCAs in bypass condition.
For LED on when compressor active, take the 1k5 current limiting R from the upper to the lower throw position of the switch instead.
Drawback of this minimalist version is, the meter will still show the amount of compression that would take effect as if not in bypass. Have the LED illuminate the meter might catch a little of this flaw.

Hmm, I guess that minimalist bypass LED mod is not what I want after all then. I'll just have to find me a source of affordable miniature 3PDT switces instead. I have a Purusha case with 5mm LED hole and 5mm toggle switch hole for the bypass, I guess that's all prepared for the relay-based bypass option. I'm not going to go that path, if I would do it the relay way it would have to be true bypass for both channels, too complicated for now.

Thanks for the explanation though :)

NorthernLight said:
Hmm, I guess that minimalist bypass LED mod is not what I want after all then. I'll just have to find me a source of affordable miniature 3PDT switces instead. I have a Purusha case with 5mm LED hole and 5mm toggle switch hole for the bypass, I guess that's all prepared for the relay-based bypass option. I'm not going to go that path, if I would do it the relay way it would have to be true bypass for both channels, too complicated for now.

Thanks for the explanation though :)

hey man, did you find a way to realize what you had planned? i am looking for the exact same thing!
thanks

Hi, I have ben away from the forum for a bit (about a year or 10 :eek:) and just now saw your post. The answer is: yes! This works like a charm. Just wire up the 3PDT switch like in the attached image (image not made by me but the wiring is accurate). PEDAL is of course the XLR plug and you have to calculate the correct current limiting resistor for the voltage of the PSU.
1661886903351.png

Here's another improvement (actually from a long time ago) for the GSSL. I wish all these mod's that make the unit better and more versatile, could be integrated into a new board version. Turbo mod, distortion mod and HPF mod.

Back