My first tentative steps into the world of spray paint art

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Consul

I found me a new hobby, I did!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dmlandrum/sets/72157620153861871/

Still very rough around the edges, but I'm hoping I'll get the techniques down before too long.

Well, these two attempts did give me two things: 1) confidence to continue, and 2) a good idea of what to practice. So tomorrow, I'm going to take small pieces of posterboard and practice making stars. It turns out that flicking spray paint off of my finger is harder than I thought to do well.

looks good to me!

btw. I used to paint too... if you have questions or something... now I just paint with brushes etc.

Thanks, folks. :) I just did another two, going smaller this time. I still have some work to do as far as making nice-looking starfields, but I'm getting there.

Now, I have a query for you smart people out there. I'm having an issue with painting the black over other colors. For some reason, the black paint breaks, and there is something of a bubbling effect that happens. No matter how much black paint I spray, this happens. The paints are definitely all of the same type (enamel spray), but even when I used the same brand of black as the colors, this was happening. You can see the effect in the picture labeled "My Very Second One" photo at the Flickr link in my first post, if you look around the moon.

Any ideas what might be causing it, and what I can possibly do about it? Thank you!

EDIT: It could just be the quality of the spray paint, now that I think of it. I started out using $1 cans of whatever I could get at Wal-Mart. However, in order to fill out some of my color palette, I ended up having to buy $3 cans of Rust-O-Leum. Well, let me tell you, I could immediately tell the difference between the two in quality: the Rust-O-Leum went on a lot better, smoother, and faster.

So it could be, I just need better paint. For now, though, I think what I have will be fine for practicing.

Cool! 

The bubbling could be moisture under the black causing the enamel to lift?

Please wear a respirator of some sort.  A lot of the old school graffiti guys have serious heath issues from spray paint.

Also, you might enjoy using different tips for different effects!
http://www.bombingscience.com/shop-tips.htm

~B

Thanks everyone for the kind comments.

sonicmook56 said:
The bubbling could be moisture under the black causing the enamel to lift?

It is humid here, but I don't think that's what's happening. I just think that this cheap spray paint is too thin, and it doesn't stick where I want it to. I'll have to test that theory, of course. Any other ideas?

Please wear a respirator of some sort.  A lot of the old school graffiti guys have serious heath issues from spray paint.

Yeah, I need to pick one up. I've been using a filter mask, like doctors wear, but I don't know how effective it is at keeping paint out. Better than nothing, I would think.

a mask like that would trap some of the suspended particulates but not the vapors.  You need to get a full NIOSH approved vapor mask.

Latest posts

Back