Studer 928 is actually Soundcraft inside

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audiox

Some time ago an ex colleague asked my opinion about Studer 928 analog console. Naturally I started with the service manual (schematics). The first thing that I noticed was that schematics/layouts were drawn by Zuken-Redac Cadstar. As far as I know Soundcraft design team uses that software but not Studer.

The circuits are almost directly copied from other Soundcraft consoles and they have very little in common with Studer analog console design (except some input and output stages). 

The console is styled to look like a Studer (Studer custom knobs, front panel texts, colours etc.)

I knew that digital consoles designed by Studer are sold under Soundcraft name and vice versa but it was new to me that such analog consoles exist too.

Yes, I know that they are owned by the same company. But I think that it was quite reckless decision from the company management because I know many people who would buy a Studer analog console but never a Soundcraft. If you compare the circuits and built quality it easy to understand why. There is a huge difference between Studer and Soundcraft designs (or at least was, maybe there is only one design team nowadays).

The sister product of Studer 928 (same pcbs, difference outer appearance) is probably Soundcraft B800.

Welcome to the age where industrial giants buy 'brand names' and then 'rationalise' costs by sharing resources such as factories and designers, in the name of 'badge-engineering'.

General motors did it with cars, and the result was the fabulous Cadillac Cimarron. -You pay a Cadillac price for a Chevy Cavalier with different seats, and a different radiator grille... but still made on the Chevy cavalier production line.

Harman did it with Amek and Soundcraft, and now that they've eviscerated (and subsequently dumped) the Amek brand name, they're essentially following the same path with Studer.

Sick Transit:
2421812994_dc0003cd03.jpg

Gloria Mundy:
f1fbe37bc9b88bf4

Keith

Brizco said:
The Studer Digital Consoles like the OnAir 3000 are still made by Studer, even if they Look like someone from StarTrek designed them  ;D

Except Studer OnAir 500 console is Soundcraft RM1d with some cosmetic modifications.

abbey road d enfer said:
Wonderlandaudio said:
Ampex ATR-700 is actually a TEAC-TASCAM... :p
There are so many examples. Have you noticed the similarity between the Joe Meek TwinQ and Toft ATC2? And the numerous chinese U47 look-alikes?

In the case of the Ampex, Ampex designed it, TEAC made it in Japan and it was marketed under both names. I think under teac only in Japan.

There are some Siemens consoles from early 80s that are basically the same as the Neve ( then adquired from siemens )

Latest posts

Back