What connectors for external 12+/48+/HV PSU?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrew_k

I've looked through the PSU Meta and any likely locations (eg: G9, MILA, related threads) but I've had no luck...

In brief: I need two sockets, two plugs and cable suitable for use with 250V+@50mA, 12V+@2A, 48V+ plus separate grounds for each and preferably an earth.

Why? I'm buiding an external power supply for a dual channel MILA (based on the G9's power supply) and I don't know what kind of plugs/sockets/cable to use to join them. I've got spare octal tube bases and sockets which are capable of taking both the current of the 12V line and the voltage of B+, but there is no security with that combo. I don't like the idea of a plug with ~250V being able to get bumped out of its socket. DIY parts are preferred over some high dollar über hifi item.

sorry the links are in finnish, but you can still see the part numbers and what they look like. These are sold worldwide by many many companies.

http://www.yeoy.fi/index.php?main=64&productCat=1171

the cable can be any standard (just watch out for the rating) 5-10 core cable, and shield is not even absolutely mandatory, since you have only cleaned up DC going through it.

as for the cable rating, calculate what your heaters will eat all together, and get some multicore where every single wire will safely handle all of the heater even by itself. it'll be a big fat one.

Neutrik Speakon sockets and plugs; 4 way version.
Chunky,locking,big enough to take armoured cable.
250V at 50mA is nothing for their rating.

Used them on my valve monoblocks running 400V @120mA

-when I was concerned about such things,these days I'm older and prefer shrouded banana plugs!

R

eeeeep.  The military amphenol gear will cost me >AUD $100 per male+female pair for 7 pin. The Neutrik is AUD$70 for a male+female of 8 pin.

I think I'll further investigate adding mechanical fastening to my salvaged octal base+socket config before sinking that sort of money into a connector  ;)

Thanks for pointing those products out gentlemen!

FWIW, we had a discussion about much the same thing some time ago, with similar outcome.

andrew_k said:
eeeeep.  The military amphenol gear will cost me >AUD $100 per male+female pair for 7 pin. The Neutrik is AUD$70 for a male+female of 8 pin.

I think I'll further investigate adding mechanical fastening to my salvaged octal base+socket config before sinking that sort of money into a connector  ;)

The Amphenol 97-series looks like it fits the bill, a brief look at Digi-Key shows a pair of connectors for ~40US$ total (97-3102A-16S-1P(946) / 97-3106A-16S-1S(946)). I believe its contacts are rated for 13A@500VAC, you may want to have a closer look at the specs before buying them. I picked the first ones that came out of a search query, there may be cheaper options still.

Admittedly that's still not ultra-cheap , but given that connectors are one of the main sources of nasty intermittent faults, getting proper ones will likely be cheaper than a fudge once you factor in your labor.

JDB.

andrew_k said:

Thanks for pointing those products out gentlemen!

I'd second the suggestion to use Neutrik Speakon connectors

They're available to up to 8 pins, are locking, look good, and are actually quite inexpensive.  Less than $10AU for a 4-conductor pair.  Check this out:  http://www.swamp.net.au/store/home.php?cat=287

Unless of course if you're going for a vintage "Leslie speaker" look.  I'm a Hammond organ fan and my 70's X-5 uses a couple of these octal and 11-pin "tube-style" connectors.  They feel rather dangerous though (and likely are no longer legal code-wise) as they carry full AC line voltage.

When it comes to power, your best choice is always a product with the voltage/current ratings to back you up.  There's nothing like a small fire in one's equipment rack to break the creative mood. :\

--Bob

I am apprehensive about using audio connectors for power.. while I believe neutrik makes a powercon series.. I would avoid common loudspeaker connector standards to avoid the inevitable.

Amp and other companies make dedicated power connectors that may be appropriate and less likely to accidentally encounter.

JR

Amphenol EP Series is very good for this.

(Just make sure that the MALE pins are on the equipment being powered and the FEMALE pins are on the cable connector, for obvious reasons.  ;D)

http://www.canford.co.uk/Products/44-511-AMPHENOL-EP5-11-5-pin-female-cable

Attachments

• 44-411_02.jpg
    44-411_02.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 65
MagnetoSound said:
Amphenol EP Series is very good for this.

Hrm. 4-pin EP is rated for 660VAC, 5/6-pin 200VAC, 8-pin 100VAC. Not much cheaper than the Amphenol 97-series, either.

MagnetoSound said:
(Just make sure that the MALE pins are on the equipment being powered and the FEMALE pins are on the cable connector, for obvious reasons.  ;D)

Absolutely. For similar reasons, include a diode and bleed resistors in the equipment being powered.

JDB.

Dare to be different.

Get a female/male PC power supply extender cable, cut in half, splice. It can't be confused for any mike or speaker connector. It is rated for more current than you need, and will surely stand the voltage. And CHEAP.

Yes, Octals used to be sold with cable-caps/clamps. Look at many ~~1959 hi-fi rigs. The power amp had an octal socket, the preamp had a long cord with a male octal.

Commercial cables were quasi-custom. For small preamps, six #20 300V conductors in jacket used to be a standard special-order cable and was ample. For modern DIY, lash a bunch of small cables together. You can use those nasty cable-ties; proper lashing with waxed floss or heavy cotton twine is much more elegant. The car-sound shops have corrugated wire covers. Heavy (power tool) cords can have their guts pulled out and threaded with several smaller conductors.

Thank you all for your advice, after weighing up the pros and cons I decided on 4 pole speakon as it's for a one man home studio and I colour code all my cables so no worry of mixing it up.

PRR: Your suggestion of PC power supply cable is a great one; I've got a boxe of PCI Exp  power cables and the like that will certainly get used in future projects. Despite this -- like all my diy stuff -- being a budget production, I prefer the cleanliness of the panel-mount sockets.

Latest posts

Back