Federal AM-864

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
drpat said:
emrr said:
In listening, be sure to do a full polarity swap on the unit for comparison, since the side chain detection is just a single side of the PP total.

Good point, don't know how I missed that, but I'll try it.

What s meant by the full polarity swap ?

skLa1

hey thanks again drpat .

i was just wonder about the threshold and limiter pots, have you experience  any oscillation when both pots are turn to the max ?

skal1

This thing is hurting my head  drapt ,would it be possible to take some voltage reading off your unit , i do not know where you you measure from ,but i thing you have more knowledge than i  on this.

do you know what would cause this effect ?

thanks

skal1

hey Pat, You should drop an e-mail to walter sear at sear sound, He modded his units. IIRC he added attack and release times.  He is quite the friendly fellow and I am sure he would offer some suggestions.

now i am going man  :mad:  i have check the voltages and have found that their is 200 volts at pin 8 of v1 and v2 , the manual say that it should be around 155volts .

what would  cause this 50v difference The heater voltage  is not that bad it  is 7.01volts  , i should be able to use a rsistor to drop that .7volts .

skal1

CJ,

The only people not living in tents around here are the legislature who just rewarded their inability to pass a budget with a 20% pay raise! And yes, this place has turned into a meat market.

??? changed the plate resistors for 24k seems a little better , but still getting oscillation.what can cause this.

i also checked the output tx ct connection to ground i read a voltage of 1.20volts is this right , i thought should not see any dc through the secondary of the tx.

skal1

drapt i did change the caps in filter section , 22uf for two 12uf and 10uf for the 12uf that should be ok yes {IMP) it has not changed the hum factor.

yes this looks like an original

C2, C3 and C5 look new  markings on caps 104k

i changed the c6  for 0.01 600vac  Polypropolene Capacitors with Metal Foil ,is this ok ?

i have checked all resistors by lifting one leg from circuit and value are within  5%

skal1

Ok did what you suggested ,here we go

V4
pin 4 to ground ,1.4 meg 

pin 8 to R11 , 1.4 meg 

V1

pin 4 to ground ,2.67 meg 
pin 7 to C2 ,27.4 meg 
pin 8 to R2 ,12K

V2

pin 4 to ground ,2.67 meg 
pin 7 to R1 ,1.4 meg