Original Sta-Level font???

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe-electro

White Market Member
I'm restoring a Gates Sta-Level that's been sitting in the basement for a few years. Sometime over the past 50 years, someone decided to paint the front panel white, so I'm going to have to sand it down to bare metal and completely redo it. Does anybody know what font was used on those units originally? I've seen two variants over the years. On most Sta-Levels, the sticks on the letters are thin, but on some they're really thick, like an Arial Black.  Does anybody know what the thin font is?  Or a good substitute?

Thanks,

Joe

There's a free iPhone app called What The Font that I have found really usefull for this sort of thing. You take a picture of the type in question and it spits out possible matches. 

You might try Phil Moore at retro instruments, he is extremely knowledgeable about all things sta-level, and he's also a super cool and helpful guy.  He restores Gates stuff, as well as all most other types of tube compressors, and he does some nifty reproductions as well.  http://www.retroinstruments.com/service.html

Latest posts

Back