jigsaw/blade recommendations / square holes?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outoftune

hi, im looking to get a jigsaw that is suitable for cutting square and rectangle holes in front/rear panels. anyone have tips/recommendations for a jigsaw, blades or any other techniques?

I haven't had good luck in the past with the jigsaw (not saying it can't be done well though)

The best luck I've had is using a dremel w/ cutoff wheel attachment.... use good heavy tape to mask it off and you can get pretty good
results.

I assume you will be cutting aluminium panels.

Use metal blade with fine teeth.  

Mask the surface of the panel with a masking tape. As well as allowing you to mark the areas to be cut, it also prevents scratching the surface of the panel.

Secure the panel onto a table using clamps.

Wear goggles.

Drill holes on four corners with a diameter slightly larger than the width of the blade. That will allow you to turn the corners easily.

Travel slowly.

When the panel gets hot, take a break and allow it to cool down.

Use a hole saw bit to make a round hole close to the size of the square, then a nibbler to cut out the rest, and a file to clean it up

back panels are thin enough to be done with a dremel....i do a lot with a dremel!
Good luck Tyler.

Jorge.

I did a couple this weekend for IEC connectors...

Step down bit to the width of the rectangle, then a fine tooth metal blade on a jig saw to trim the remainder.  Next time I'll try a dremel, I have a nice jigsaw but it can still be really aggressive. 

Also I've also found that cutting the hole really really tight then filing it to a nice fit works best for me.

if you are cutting out VU meters, i would use biscuit jointer cutter. it has a small solid round blade... like the cross cut machines, but
tiny version of it... try on plywood first... count in the blade thickness ....

or make a mark with heavy duty stanley knife... do, 5-8 light passes... it will give you some depth... and it will be
easier to follow that grove with jigsaw.

dont forget to safety...

EDIT :  do  not rush

Latest posts

Back