polytone

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mich

hi
did anyone tried diy'ing a polytone guitar amp,or knows something abut it?

i think ill try my luck with one...

b.t.w- i know thats not the right place for this question, but im sure that some of you plays a little guitar or bass ,and likes the jazzy sound of the polytone...

I have a couple of Polytones - somewhere I think I have some documentation. I will try to find it and scan it when I get a moment.

:thumb:

The one bass one I workeed on years ago had a NS chip for the amp stage The chip was most of the amp stage except the output transformers Nice chip I forget the numbers 391 seems to come to mind.

I think maybe why the polytones are kinded of liked is they have an OK solid state circuit.

They're very nice low volume bass amps. I have a 12" and a 15". In their day there was nothing else that small that sounded that good. You just can't push them too hard. Reliable as hell, though.

Ugh. Polytone amps have the most disgusting overdrive ever. The clean sound is OK. I never saw the big appeal of Polytones, but then again, I'm not a jazzer. I didn't like working on them when I was a guitar amp repair guy... Fiberglass city!

I have a couple of Polytones - somewhere I think I have some documentation. I will try to find it and scan it when I get a moment.

thanks, that can be great...absolutly no rush with it.

i was wondering what results i would get, if i used only the preamp section-(has a couple of 4558 and tone circuit) only,and drive it with anykind of power amp of the same dissipation...would u think ill get very similar results -or not so close to the original? (the polytone power section uses standard bipolar transistors amplification).interesting expiriement...

b.t.w.... never use the amps distortion...wasent ment 2 b..

(maybe in mesa b) :grin:

I think they're very good bass amps. Very poor guitar amps. I'd never use it for guitar.

have you heard the music of kurt rosenwinkel?

his guitar sound is very nice...."warm solid state sound"

and its not an oximoron.....

Hi Mich,

I'm sorry, I can't find that documentation. I'll take another look around but it seems to have been swallowed up by my studio.

Latest posts

Back