Neve 1084 PCBs and other stuff

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
clintrubber said:
Nice thread & plans !

(I'm not into that myself, but I just don't get it why nobody has asked for a 500-version yet  ;) )

you mean a 500 version of a 1073/1084? good point. API manages to fit their EQs into those small enclosures. i bet it would be possible. perhaps with a more limited EQ and different transformers :)

My irrelevant contribution to this thread was actually triggered by this certain webshop, Ibood.com, that sells one article a day, during 24 hours. You might have heard of it. Many people over there can't resist to ask as a joke 'but does it have USB ?', even for the most non-tech articles. The 500-format hunger here sometimes feels like that: "nice circuit, but can we have it in a 500-layout?"  ;)
No problem with that 500-eagerness, it just made me think of it.

Cheers,

Peter

Just wondering, is it the plan to keep the EQ-bypass as on the original ?

Or to have some way of adjusting the resulting level of the EQ-output signal
for a far better comparison with the non-EQ'd signal?

In general, many cool processors lack this simple add-on, perhaps on purpose, but
the result is that you can't make a fair judgement of any actual improvement.

Bye,

Peter

I may have been unclear; the essence of my question was whether some kind of level-control will be part
of the to-be-bypassed EQ-section.

So that you can compensate the level after having tweaked the EQ and then can make a fair comparison with the no-EQ sound and don't get fooled by 'more level is better sounding'.

It'll be a no-brainer to implement such a control afterwards, but why not have it right away ? (if that wasn't the plan already)

Bye,

Peter 

clintrubber said:
I may have been unclear; the essence of my question was whether some kind of level-control will be part
of the to-be-bypassed EQ-section.

So that you can compensate the level after having tweaked the EQ and then can make a fair comparison with the no-EQ sound and don't get fooled by 'more level is better sounding'.

It'll be a no-brainer to implement such a control afterwards, but why not have it right away ? (if that wasn't the plan already)

Bye,

Peter 

is this control on the original module? i don't believe it is. perhaps we should leave it as an option for those who prefer to stay true to the original design.

danjpiscina said:
is this control on the original module? i don't believe it is.
No it isn't indeed. I'd say it's an exchange of 'original' vs 'essential added functionality', but that'll be different for everybody.
This project being in a sort of brainstorm-phase I was just making a suggestion.

perhaps we should leave it as an option for those who prefer to stay true to the original design.
That'll tackle it !

madriaanse said:
JC I agree with what you're saying, but it comes down to finding a quality PCB mount solution for the 3X24. As far as I know there is no such thing. I have used a 1X12 for line-in and a 3X12 for mic-in (both Grayhill). I would LOVE IT if Grayhill or Elma made a 3X24 PCB mount.

hi Martin
not possible fit a "discrete" out pot as in focusrite isa 115 (and some other.....)
for fine output control ?
regards
6t9r

This is the first time I'm reading this thread. Must've missed it. Can't wait for it to get finished. yum!

Question to Bluzzi: What type of switches will be used, pushbuttons or toggles? Maybe you haven't come to that part yet?

I wonder why a 30db pad isnt considered as a good solution to add a line in on the mic EZ boards. Is pads such a bad thing?..and I never understood why NEVE went with  the first gain stage for line in. The transformer give a 12 db att. So a pad to turn the signal down to -32db, so a gainstage of 18 db to end up with a signal of -14 to the EQ. Why didnt they just skip the gain stage, and went strigth to the EQ. With the transformer wiered 2:1 (-6db) they still would have an extra 8 db of gain available if needed...mabye it didnt fit the 10,5 0db scale.....I have a feeling that the "magic" of this circuit is in the output section anyway.
And yes, Jim, a EQ only board, with just the two inverting amps will be a success :)

Joechris said:
I wonder why a 30db pad isnt considered as a good solution to add a line in on the mic EZ boards. Is pads such a bad thing?..and I never understood why NEVE went with  the first gain stage for line in. The transformer give a 12 db att. So a pad to turn the signal down to -32db, so a gainstage of 18 db to end up with a signal of -14 to the EQ. Why didnt they just skip the gain stage, and went strigth to the EQ. With the transformer wiered 2:1 (-6db) they still would have an extra 8 db of gain available if needed...mabye it didnt fit the 10,5 0db scale.....I have a feeling that the "magic" of this circuit is in the output section anyway.
And yes, Jim, a EQ only board, with just the two inverting amps will be a success :)

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread from the past.... I've been just wondering exactly about that question myself re. why the gain stage. Does anybody have an answer/insights to that?

Latest posts

Back