rare article about MCI founder Jeep Harned

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
really?

thats way earlier than I thought!

What opamps were they using in 1972? I dont imagine thats a discrete design, right?

dave

[quote author="buttachunk"]These guys invented (among other things) the digitally-controlled analog console (pre-Euphonix)[/quote]
I think the series ten might have been predated by the Tridant "DiAn" console by a few years... unreliable as it was, it was an earlier effort than the series ten.

Earlier Harrison consoles were pretty basic, the mic pres for the series 24 and series 32 were just a Jensen tranny and a 5534... the filters were crazy though! -The range of overlap of the HPF and LPF was such that you could get absolute silence, or verry narrow pass bands over a wide range. The EQ was coarse, but useful.

The sereies ten evolved into the twelve, and now the digital back-end of the twelve has evolved into the basic structure of the MPC series. We have a 224-channel MPC-3 and we're looking into upgrading it into an MPC-4.

I spent some time up at the Harrison factory a few months ago and was very pleasantly surprised by the team. -Not like the British console builders at all; more like custom tailors! (I don't think that any two Harrison consoles are the same!)

There was a thought provoking article a few years ago which named the three most infuential console systemn designers of all time and left out Rupert Neve's name: Jeep Harned, Colin Sanders and Greg Mackie were the three that were chosen... some might differ with the choice on the face of it, but it was tough to argue with some off their logic.

Keith

No kidding!

I think that I mentioned that I thought that Tom Dowd was just a confused old wino who'd wandered in off the street until he mentioned Jeep's name... that was the first thing that I twigged to!

Talking about 20 years ago, my mum arrived in town yesterday for a 2-week visit with her grandson. -She brought with her a 20-year old (exactly... November 1984!) magazine -"Sound Engineer" -I think it might have been a realtively short-lived publication, but my name is in it a couple of times, including a 4-page spread on Amazon Studios and the SSL we'd just put in. the photos were taken by my dad, -a few years before he passed away.

I was thoroughly enjoying reading the adverts for all the products which look so dinky now... Audio Kinetics fader automation (the old 'Melkuist' system) and the like. There was a SONY ad in there with the consoles still being produced.

The magazine is in perfect condition, and I'll keep it very carefully!

Incidentally, the Smiths 'Meat Is Murder' session was referred to in there... -the famous "Morrissey-decking" session. -Was it really twenty years ago?!?!?!?

There were tales of the Trident Di-An being so unreliable that people from Trident were dragged out of bed at gunpoint (I kid you not) to fix them! -Harrison actually made the whole system work, probably before Euphonix, though Euphonix probably made a better go of it overall. Trident definately came out bottom of the heap on that score, I'm afraid!

Keith

After reading the article, I was fooling around on Google and found this link to King Records Studios.

http://www.bluejeansplace.com/KingRecordsStudios.html

[quote author="buttachunk"]

i'd be interested in seeing that article about console designers, Keef.

Tom Dowd must've been friendly with Jeep Harned-- he used 400 series console serial number one to record and mix "Layla" for Derek and the Dominoes at Criteria-- one of the first recordings made on an MCI console.[/quote]
Sending you some info that I can't quote or put on the web for copyright reasons
Simon

[quote author="SSLtech"]Hey Simon...

Any chance that Santa might deliver an attachment to me???

:wink:

Keef[/quote]
Santa has deposited in your pm sack two articles
pm me if you want the colour versions.....
Simon

Back