2150A replacement

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony dB

i'm sure we had this topic before,

i have a set of 8 compressors that sound a little dull, compared to a few years ago. Could be that i need to get these units checked as i noticed 2 trimpots on the pcb.

we have compared them 3 years ago next to Distressors and we achieved similar results, to discribe the soundcolor a bit.

when checking the pcb i saw that there are THAT 2150A's used,

can i upgrade without any fix other then replacing the VCA and what would be the BEST upgrade posible?

Thanks

tdB

PS diy by someone who sells them - so sorry no pictures until he aproves this :sad:

That2180 should do it:

http://www.technicalaudio.com/pdf/semi_IC/TC-THAT2180Series.pdf

..possibly leave pin4 (dist. trim) non-connected. maybe cut off this before mounting?

Jakob E.

Jakob,

thank you for replying and the pdf.

if i would like to put a 2180 in an SSLclone later, would i be missing the leg #4?

so which pin is pin 4 exactly on the THAT?

one way of clarifying would be to know if the pin under the side with the indentation on top is pin 1 (input) or pin 8 (output)...

Also, since there is not dist. trim on the sidechain VCA, should it also be disconnected there?

thanks guys,

Chris

i think it's when you hold the vca with the little cirkel to the lefthandside the 4th leg counting from left.

please anyone, correct me if i'm wrong here!

Interesting...I have a bunch of THAT 2180LB's so I tried A/B'ing between having no connection on pin 4 (just cut off the pins on 3 THATs) and swapped between 3 stock ones by just popping them in and out.

heres what I heard:

with no connection on pin 4, it appears to not distort as much if you are really cranking the threshold down, but strangely it sounded smoother to me on more subtle settings with the pins connected....without the pin 4's the unit sounds a bit grittier to me..I went back and forth several times and don't think I'm imagining the difference..

I decided for now that I like the way it sounds better with the pins connected.

So are the THAT2150A's not a very good choice for the SSL Comp? I have 4 of these, but would rather use something different if there is a better choice.

Thanks,

Steve

just received some stuff from toothpastefordinner.
included there's 5 DBX 2150's.
What's the difference, if any, with THAT 2150's?

tdB

just tried them in my compressors and there's a huge difference in top end details!

Toothpastefordinners turned out 2151, is there much difference with the 2150a? Couldn't get it to work, maybe the 2151 are dead, they looked used for a while??

Latest posts

Back