1176 Plosives: looking for Rev A schematic or high res internal shots

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neeno

Hi guys.
I'm looking for a readable version of the 1176 rev A schematic.
I can't read the value of R11.
An high resolution interior shot would be ok too.

If you own an original rev A (not AB or B) please send me an email.
I'm trying to solve the plosives problems with all ratio buttons in.

Thanks in advance.

Is the rev A repro schematic of no help?  I see the exhaustive UREI manual download is illegible on that value.

i don't understand the connection between the all buttons in mode and R11, which is attached to Q2 (the first signal FET in the preamp)?  R11/R12 is a bit fuzzy but i would say it looks like 10k/1k in the original and 9.1k/2.2k in the rev A.  this is a pretty minor tweak and doubtful the cause of your issue.  i'd rather look at R18 and R22 or anything having to do with the sidechain when all the ratio resistors are all bypassed.

ed

Hi Ed !
Thanks for your reply !
You're right, R11 and R12 wouldn't solve the plosives problem.
What I'm doing now, is following the Rev A schematic.
I still have to compare the sidechains of the original and the rev A, but it looks like they didn't modified anything there.
The major differences I found are in the preamp section and the ratio board resistors.
Probably stuffing the board following the rev A schematic would solve the problem.

Do you have more readable rev A schematic ?
Thanks for your help.

Rob Flinn said:
neeno I'm with you we need to work this out.   Do you get the pumping thing on all in mode ??

Hi Rob ! Thank you.
Well, I don't have any problem with the brit mode.
But that's because I'm testing the rev A board inside a rev D I already built.
Try to use the values shown on the JBL rev A schematic for the ratio board, I'm 99% sure it will fix the problem.

Report back what you find out !

Now I'm trying to figure our all the parts that have been changed from the original 1176 to the rev A.
It's referred to the schematics, so it would be great if someone with a real rev A can help up sort this thing out.

The bright side of the story is that probably Mnat's rev A could be stuffed in 2 ways, isn't this just great ?  :)

Cheers,

Neeno.

I used the ratio board values that are supplied with the pcbs the Hairball supply.  They are different from the rev D values, in accordance with the diagram the Mako supplies.  If you are using the rev D values then both scenarios have been tried ??

I keep thinking that backing off the gain in the side chain might be useful maybe decreasing the value of R46 ???

I think that the original 1176 has a lower threshold compared to the rev A.
As you can see, the preamp stage of the rev A has an higher feedback resistor.
If I'm not wrong that means less gain from the preamp stage then less signal in the sidechain.

The rev D ratio board is similar to the rev A. But different from the original 1176 (Mnats version)
In fact in the original 1176 the signal from the output pot goes straight to the meter board, when in the rev A or D there is a resistor in between.

That's why I think following the rev A schemo should help solve the problem.
But as far as I can see there is more stuff to change for a clone of a rev A.
Mako did a great work btw, but there is still something I don't understand.

Please Mako, chime in !

Neeno, I replied to your email. Thanks for attempting a fix. I've been using my RevA for months and I love it. I don't use nuke mode much but if I need to, I use my G1176 or a Distressor.

Cheers,

Tony

Thank you for your reply Tony.

Now, as promised I post the comparison I did between the "Original 1176", "Rev A" and "Mnats Rev A"
Check out the attachment.

I still have to compare the ratio board resistor.
I'll do that and update the list later.
If anyone would like to check if all the values are ok, it would be just great.

Attachments

• 1176 Comparison.txt
    455 bytes · Views: 149
Neeno,

Could you clarify exactly which diagram relates to which ? 

original diagram = the first diagram in manual which they only made about 125 of ??

Rev "A" value = 2nd diagram in manual serial numbers 125-216 ??

Is Mnats values from the diagram at Waltzing Bear ?

Hi Rob !
Well, the original 1176 is the first diagram in JBL pdf.
They did just 24. Serial from 101 to 125

The rev A is the second diagram "Titled Rev A" is what I call Rev A.

As you can see, the Blue Stripe diagram on Waltzingbear refers to the "original 1176" wich is not the "Rev A" and this is what Mako used (with some slight modifications).

Probably what we've built now is the first version of the 1176.

Hope it helps.

Neeno said:
Chuck !
Thank you very very much for the pictures.
Is that a rev A ? Or is it the original version ?

Well, it is from 1968 or 1969 so it's as close to the original series as I have ever seen, plus it has the original all-black input and output knobs..!

Attachments

• Bluestripe Black Knobs .jpg
    Bluestripe Black Knobs .jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 469
Thank you very much Chuck !
Do you have the original manual of the blue stripe ?
I'm looking for a schematic a bit more readable than the one supplied by the JBL manual.

Rob Flinn said:
I've been comparing the diagrams & noticed that on the original R46 is 22k & on rev A it's 8k2,c ompared to Mnats 47k.   It strikes me that tese values would reduce the gain of the s/c amp significantly !

I just swapped out R46 for the 8k2 that is used in the REV A version.  It makes quite a difference to the operating range.  If using the 47k or 22K in the other versions it goes from nothing to -20db GR at about 10 o'clock input pots rotation.  With an 8K2 in this position -20db happens at about 12 o'clock on the input control.  The threshold point stays the same.

Basically it's more controllable.

Latest posts

Back