HELP needed racking 2 vintage Neve 1272`s

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi ion,
what i meant is, if you are not keeping the original front panel as you mentioned earlier (as the BAE unit) and you are using an enclosed rack chassis (like par-metal and similar units, not as with this particular BAE unit), then i would think you would need to take the circuit out of the module.  i guess i'm over-thinking things, but i thought you should be aware of what might need to be done to implement a 1U install into an enclosed rack chassis
i didn't realize you were going to have a support bar/strain relief/cable pig-tails with external power supply pigtail.

if you look at the BAE unit the module is custom mounted.  there is a support rail on the rear of the modules which seems to be mainly used as a lacing bar for the connector pigtails and to support/stabilize the two modules, but no chassis to enclose the units.  i didn't realize you were going to have the support rails made for you if going with a 1U racking, rather than the commercially available enclosed rack chassis (like par-metal or Hifi2000) which you would have a difficult time fitting those modules in i believe due to the height restrictions.

i don't like exposed cabling like the BAE units as i never really trust the support or strain relief of something mounted in that fashion..just MHO.  if it works for you go for it.  i may be wrong, but i unaware of anyone around here who has done it the BAE way so you'll need to be the one to take this leap and explore uncharted territories on your own.

i'm sure you'll be o.k. and it will be a great learning experience for all.
best of luck and keep us posted on your progress.
regards,
grant

thanks for all!!
and i really hope my little bit ironic use of words didnt sound somewhat unthankfull

"you'll need to be the one to take this leap and explore uncharted territories on your own"

and i am happy to do so :)

yes its gonna be done the BAE way... i like the design

i will def. keep you posted

anyway... a short question

does anyone know where i would get that kind of stability plate that BAE uses or at least under what Name i may find it?

http://brentaverill.com/images/stories/products/1272A_inside.jpg

or should i rather just get a small fitting steel or alluminium plate and drill according to the modules!?

My guess is the stability bar is custom made for the situation from a length of metal, rather than an off-the-shelf product.

dissonantstring said:
The 18 pin edge connectors would need to be mounted onto the module backplane connector.  Wires run from the edge connector pins you mount to the various amenities (+24V, +/- in and out, 0V, etc).  look for the 1272 edge connector pin out data/scheme.  there are several on the web so you should be able to find one. 

as for where to get them...giving your location may help you if someone knows where you are (EU, USA, Middle East, Asia, Antarctica, etc.).
knowing your location will benefit you as someone near you could suggest the best place to obtain them.  i get the EDAC type from mouser or digikey in the US.

Hi mate,
there's any chance that you know the reference for this EDAC connector?
I would like to order a couple of them

thanks

Latest posts

Back