Newbie wants Direct Outs on Yamaha PM-700

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fbhall

I've finally decided that after years of daydreaming about my DIY projects, it's time to actually do something.  I need some advice on creating a Direct Output situation on my Yamaha PM-700.  Actually, any other advice regarding the mixer would be appreciated as well. I have include a pdf file of the manual including schematic.
  What I've learned so far is that the D.O. signal could be taken from the pan knob  (note: this was mentioned in the archive but never elaborated)......(See p.5)

Do i need output transformers on each out.  There are four transformers in the Output sections  Could these be used on four...then maybe some other flavors on the other channels?

Also...I've seen archived threads suggesting upgrading the input TA7136 op amps? Anyone?

Perhaps the most valuable components are the NE80100...I understand the these are same footprint as API 2520 and John Hardy 990.  How can i get some use outta these?

While I'd like to keep the mixer intact, I'm willing to chop it up and rack the pres if the potential is that much more.  My ideal setup would be 12 pres modified differently maybe 8 one way and 4 another.

Thanks in advance for any help I receive..Hopefully others will benefit from this query, too.

havn trouble posting the schematic be up soon

those preamps are really noisy!
PM1K are better...not these!

I wouldnt even take a chance on recapping those things!

I did built 4 preamps out of a 700 mixer.... 2 transformer in/DOA/output trasnformers and 2 transformless out!

Sounded 1000 times better!

Thanks.

I'm pretty green to this subject I admit 3nity.  I just recorded an album using modified PM 1Ks (the Bakery in Athens,Ga) so i thought I would tinker with the 700.  What is it that makes the 700 more noisy?...is it the input op amp? Can it be cured, you mentioned not recapping the mixer, however i read that this might reduce broad band noise. 

I am pretty intent on making this mixer useful so any info on your particular project involving the 700 would be awesome.

Thanks again everyone.

3nity said:
those preamps are really noisy!
PM1K are better...not these!

I wouldnt even take a chance on recapping those things!

I did built 4 preamps out of a 700 mixer.... 2 transformer in/DOA/output trasnformers and 2 transformless out!

Sounded 1000 times better!

Thanks.

I have a 2 channel PM700 with a Five Fish Audio power supply and they are FARTHEST thing from noisy. Other than the PSU and 48V they are completely stock.

Very nice. I think the mine only have the input transformer. They sound great though!

Peace
Illumination

here's the schematic for the channels in pdf....looks like I'm leaning towards racking these up.  I will also post the output section which contains the NE80100 op amps and also contains many transformers.

Attachments

• newschematic.pdf
    268.1 KB · Views: 65
....as promised the output section pdf... thank again for all the help.

Attachments

• outputschematic.pdf
    115.2 KB · Views: 51
i'd try just after the 47UF/16 BP electro....just before the Pan pot...change it to a bigger cap btw.
I got one question for you.....do you have a better schem?
I'm looking for voltages feeding the VU meters...

The meters appear to be on the output schematic (part 2 of my last post). If not, I would be happy to email a copy.
  What I have recently been thinking is that, from what I've read, I would be better off making 2 pres with the left and right program outs (PM NA80132 in the output schematic).  As i understand it, the NE80100 is a better op amp.  The AUX OUTS also have this OPA.  Is this possible?  How?

Back