SSL 4K E mic input

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mata_haze

I was studying the above mentioned mic preamp the other day...
it's very basic : 5534 and a Jensen Je115 trafo.
that IS it!
it is a very nice sounding mic preamp and distorts in a really pleasant way..
I think 2 would EASLY fit on one 500 series card...

I am not good with PCB design software but I can provide schematics, assistance, comparison and be a beta tester.

anyone wishing to join?

Best
Mattia.

I'm finalizing a design of this mic pre at the moment. It will incorporate all the usual stuff (like DI, phantom, phase, etc..) as well as the listen mic compressor.
I'll post when it's done.
Dan

mata_haze said:
I think 2 would EASLY fit on one 500 series card...

I'm sure you've thought of this but there is only one input and output available per 500 slot so even if you could fit more than one pre on there you couldn't get into and ot of them both.  I suppose you could put the two inputs on the front panel and use a sex changer to turn the rear panel input female xlr into a male output?

Best of luck with the designs Dan.

Cheers,
Ruairi

i'm making a mic pre based on a similar topology only based on the mic input of a Polygram mixing board. Love to see the schematics of the ssl 4k input.

greetings,

Thomas

Check out the SSL 141 mic pre.  It uses 2 5534s and the Jensen xformer, but the gain control is a 10k linear pot.  Much easier to find!
Bruno2000

schematic for the ssl 4k mic pre : http://www.ka-electronics.com/images/SSL/ssl_82E01.pdf

it's indeed 2 opamps and a 10k lin pot.

doesn't look similar to the jensen app note, the polygram mic pre i'm doing is similar to the jensen app note.

Steve Dove showed this same circuit back in the 80's in Studio Sound magazine in his console design article, and stated it was a common British mic pre design that had been floating around for a while long before SSL snagged it.

Maybe not relevant - but are you sure this is the G+ micpre? I'd have expected it to be transformerless. Only to make sure in case you are after the G+ sound. I believe the one you're examining might be the E or first G micpre, but my SSL history is kinda vague.

Michael

I also think you are talking about the SSL 4K E Series, most of them were transformer based, although I think there's some E series desks (later models) that are transformerless.

I've racked up a buch of 4000 input cards with Jensen transformers and while they are decent sounding mic preamps, there is more intersting stuff, imho. The VHD in modern SSL preamps looks like a useful feature, I'd love to hear it...

martthie_08 said:
I've racked up a buch of 4000 input cards with Jensen transformers and while they are decent sounding mic preamps, there is more intersting stuff, imho. The VHD in modern SSL preamps looks like a useful feature, I'd love to hear it...

Do you know what Jensen transformer was used in those modules?

I've seen someone racking a Full module,
bottom of this page:

http://www.proharmonic.com/archive2.htm

do you have by chance any schematics or documents of the modules you racked?

Some Info from Keith aka "SSL Tech"  , here is the complete thread:

http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/t.pl?f=pro&m=4483

" (...) E-series are 82E01 or 82E149
The original was card number 82E01 which used a Jensen transformer.
Later on came the 82E149, which was the first of the transformerless designs.
The first 'G' series input card was different in that it used a stepped attenuator instead of a variable gain control.  (...)  The G-series (from memory) used a solid-state differential front end with a matched pair of parallel transistors for low noise . (...)  "

So basically we are really talking about a series "E" mic preamp and not "G",
the schematic for the 82E01 is the one Hobiesound posted:

hobiesound said:
schematic for the ssl 4k mic pre : http://www.ka-electronics.com/images/SSL/ssl_82E01.pdf

my idea of 5534 pre with transformerless out, 500 standard ready.
jensen trasformer input.

Pier Paolo

Edit for having forgotten two resistors

Attachments

• 5534--trasf.jpg
    5534--trasf.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 1,030

Latest posts

Back