ALTEC 436C Output transformer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fablab

Hello
I'd like to know if it is possible to use a A262A3E OEP transformer (or another one) as output of a Altec 436 clone.
Any info welcome!

Fablab said:
Why do you think so?

The OEP are about an inch square in size.  If you compare this to a picture of an original 436 you will notice that it's much smaller.  Then compare it to the transformer that Sowter make for the 436 & you will see that it's much smaller again.

If you wanna be legit it's 28K:600 impedance; says so on the replacement transformer box. 

PP does not need gapped cores, at least that is what I belived up to now. As much as i understand 436C has PP output stage. If so why it needs (if it does) a gapped transformer?
Thank you

Remember if you are feeling designerly you can use a non-CT output with CT choke B+ feed instead.  IF you just happen to have the iron already, or feel like experimenting.  Buying would likely get more expensive than just getting the right thing ITFP. 

Thanks Emrr
                  I have a 9CT:1 (15k:185ohm) transformer just it is not gapped core. Is that a problem for 436C like circuit?
Cheers

Back