should i dare wire/connect my vintage Neve 1272`s myself? or go to pro?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ion

i have my 2 vintage 1272 modules here now

they are modded to a stepped Gain

i also have a tiny JLM PSU with it wich according to API manages +48 as well...

(all) i would need to do is get a substitute for an Amphenol connector... i was told some PCB part would work for this..but can anyone tell me more details?

than i would need to know how and what to wire/connect to a pigtail for XLR in/out and PSU

the rest is the racking or in my case rather 1hu mounting job

i am VERY VERY VERY new to DIY and some may have seen my trouble with the Pm1000 transformers (tho the problem was just some stupid mixup i did in he beginning)

so would this 1272 project be rather simply also for someone who cant deal with shematics etc or much too complicate?

the deal is i have now some free days while the pro tech who would do it for me cat start before 14 days from now and of course would cost me around a 100,- euro

so should i dare or should rather pass ot on to the tech...

these modules did cost me 1k,- eur

i think the recapp i have to do isnt an issue... API included the capacitors.... about adding the 5k pot where the resistor now is located, i am not sure if thats so easy...

what would you guys suggest, and are there fellas here that know wnough about this pre that they could, and WOULD be of help/support?

i think i will start the recapp now...

could somone tell me what PCB part i need as substitute to the Amphenol connectors?

the 1272 rear-connection has 18 pins

i need a connector for that and than need to wire XLR/PSU to the connector

Ion,
What you really need is a pair of these, but they're as rare as rocking horse poo.
conn.jpg

You'll have to make a pcb aproximating the right hand connectors, then take wires from it.

As regards the wiring, there must be a gazillion threads here addressing such.

peter

so what is the exact name of those?

i have no idea how to make a PCB do you know where i would find such a PCB premade or could someone send me one?

i see that this will be the biggest issue, as connecting from there if one have the right info cant be too hard...

i am allready facing my first issues/questions with the recapp

API did send me 12 capacitors... 6 for each module... the number matches but from the big ones i only have 2 from the next big ones 6 than 2 smaller ones and 2 even more smaller ones

i dont understand this.. i would have expected that i have for every capacitor a pair and would see by the size of the old one wich one comes in.... but like this i am not sure where to start

i mean why only TWO big ones.... on the original PCB there are 4 on each module would make 8 in total...

or doesnt it matter wich capacitor on wich place as long as +  / - is right?

7968337-03a

7968342-fb7

oh and about the wiring.... no i did search for wiring original 1272 etc i did not find any direct information/overview how to wire it

short bump

please a small word on the recapp question... since there are not the same amount of capacitors of each kind... how should i put them in?

doesnt matter? only watch +/ -

sitting here ready to start as soon as someone give me a word on this

Remove one of the capacitors and see what is written on it. Might be 470uF/25v. Replace with same value and watch polarity.
Repeat.

The Amphenol is an 18 pin male.

uuuuh

i hope the info was correct that its the male 18 yes?

becasue i found somone who sells them... they were OFF ebay, i wrote him and he RE-listed them

in case anybody needs some as they are quite rare ;)

here you go:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190323467424&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:DE:1123

very fair price as well... please only buy if you need not for resale interests..thats not why i post the link here ;)

ok

i wait with the recapp until tomorrow to get another tool...

could someone give me some insight on how the 5k pot takes the place of the 5k resistor for my TRIM pot?

i can make pics if it helps...

the hole for the 2nd potentiometer is of course not exactly where the 5k resistor is etc... and the resistor i think has 2 wires... how would those be connected to the pot?

and since i found the Amphenol i think if i get an easy pin by pin list of what to connect to wich pin it wot be so hard to do for me...

well and lastly... i thought i got a complete PSU but its that 4th one from abover on here:
http://www.jlmaudio.com/JLM%20Power%20Supply.htm

so i was told istill need some stuff like tranny, ring-tranny (+/- 24 V right?) etc

i have an ACDC Adaptor with the JLM

What you should do its wait a little more weeks..
We will (Bluzzi and me) release a true 1272 style preamp soon.
Its something like the Access-312 but VENE style..

Apart from that you had troubles following simple instructions on finishing a PM1000.
I'd say wait a little do some other projects (easiers) and read as much as you can on the 1272 hot rod.
visit JLM site for 1272 simple mod too.

Thanks.

Do you think you will be able to make that 100 Euro back with the time you save by going to a Pro to have it done?

Pros
- going to a pro gives you a guarantee that it works when he/she is done and it also provides you a sort of warranty if it fails within a reasonable time
- you can ask him what he did to the unit afterwards

Cons
- Money spent on getting it done
- You will not know your own unit on how it was built, but then again you might be able to pay the pro to teach you what he did afterwards

hmmm well yes pros and cons...

@3nity .. yes but those problems where actually because i made some mistake earlier iin the connecting and didnt realise...

but yes... to do the neve i would need simple put instructions...

but honestly... connecting thw wires from 2 xlr and psu to each amphenol should be realy easy as long as you know what goes where no!?

afaik inside the module nothing has to be changed besides the 5k pot!?

the thing that makes me worry a bit now is the PSU.... i am not sure if i want to build that myself.

but are there any major difficulties that i somehow dont know about and therefore did not mention?

does somthing inside the modules has to be changed as well?

well if i get a simple and for a newb understandable list like: PIN 7 to XLR IN PIN3 and PIN 16 to PSU or something similar.... that shouldnt bee too hard!?

hmmm so are the things to be done wich i mentioned about it or are there any hidden complications that i did not realize yet?

Back